Need some helpful input on slow weight loss

Options
I started Jan 1, 2012 with weight watchers and didnt see results like the others i know doing it and started tracking with my fitness pal to compare and decided to switch over to mfp because it accounts for everything unlike WW. I have lost 37 pounds with eating better, working out and a personal trainer for a bit. I am only losing about a pound a week. My diet isnt perfect, I work out hard but not everyday because I work long hours. I would like some input on what I could do to speed up my losing. I am not sure if on the days I dont eat all my calories if this is slowing my progress but too scared to eat more if Im not hungry. Progress is slow but still progress I dont wanna eat more and gain.

Replies

• lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    Have you tried doing weights when you go to the gym? I recently started doing that - and I can feel the difference! Maybe the scales haven't changed drastically - but I can definitely see my body is more toned. Also, drink water. Just water. The sugar in other drinks is rather high.

It will be a little slow - but you will get there :)
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating under your calories when you don't eat all of them? You don't really want to drop more than 1-2 lbs per week so 1lb a week is good though I know it can be frustrating. Sometimes varying what you eat can help and also varying your exercise. Try doing something different when you workout. I know a lot of people get on a routine where their workouts are the same every day or even the same on certain days of the week. Do you do any weight training when you workout? That can help too and if you do use weights maybe try doing weights on a different day of the week or different time of the day to confuse your body.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started looking at your food diary a little and it looks like you rarely go over in your calories and you don't eat back your exercise calories. I would try eating back those calories sometimes so you're not starving yourself. Also, on workout days make sure you eat that protein, you are almost never getting all of your protein in. You are not getting much protein on the days where you workout. Also, make sure you drink water. I drink probably about 10 cups a day and rarely drink anything else and if I do it's coffee or juice.
  • shawnbeck1
    Options
    By losing it slowly, it is more likely that you will keep it off. You are doing this to get healthier and to stay healthy. Diets are short term and usually leave the dieter feeling hungry or deprived. They may even take off some weight (mostly water), but as soon as you go off of the diet, you usually gain whatever was lost plus more. It seems that you are not feeling either of those. It seems that you are feeling a little frustrated because progress has slowed. No one's diet is perfect, but you should never eat if you are not hungry. On the days that you work long hours and do not get a chance to work out, could you take a 5-10 minute walk at lunch or take the stairs instead of the elevator? Or maybe every hour or so, walk up and down the hallway a couple of times? You could even find someplace to do a few jumping jacks or wall push ups. These might not seem like 'workouts', but they will burn a few extra calories which will add up to more pounds lost.:happy:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My diet isnt perfect

This, I know it's hard to change diet since it's a change of lifestyle and habits but you should start eating more proteins (chicken, tuna, beans, cottage cheese etc.) and lower your carbs a bit. Aim for 60-70 grams as a start and increase as you feel comfortable. You are on a 4:1 carbs to protein which is too carb heavy. MFP sadly sets protein goal pretty low, you should take it as the bare minimum. I think your calorie deficit is pretty high but if you're not feeling sluggish and think it works for you, go on. If not, don't be afraid to experiment while you eat clean. Increase it by 200~ and see if it makes a difference.
  • hunnnybee
    hunnnybee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone.
    My routine for past two weeks is run about 5-5.5 mph for 15 minutes to warm up and cool down after work out and do 30 pull ups with 160 pound assist, 30 pushups, 45 squats, 45 crunches I try to switch my rountine every week or two.I walk on average 8 miles a day on the days I work at the hospital and I try to take stairs down always and up if its under 3-4 flights lol.
    I dont usually feel all that hungry thru the day I snack frequently more than I eat meals. I feel like I drink a ton of water but Im bad about keepn track, Ive limited myself to only one can of diet soda a day and usually dont finish it- I feel like Im losing the taste for soda. I am def going to track my water better and drink more.
    Im not huge on meat, chicken so to get protein I might switch my bfast to yogurt with almonds and maybe an hard boiled egg for snack instead of always choosing fruit and see if this helps and Ill try to switch carby sides to beans instead to see if this helps.