Relieving TMJ pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I've used 2 different things. Concentrate on keeping your tongue touching the roof of your mouth. It help you keep from clenching your jaw. Say emmaw repeatedly which help keep your jaw from clenching.

I usually stretch, massage and ibuprofen mine when it gets bad. For me, the lifesaver has been a custom nightguard which most insurance doesn't cover. I'm not sure why TMJ is often not covered but other chronic pain stuff like arthritis or fibro is.

I know about the dental insurance thing. I have arthritis in my jaw which is changing my bite. That's why my TMJ has gotten worse over the last 10 years. I had a dentist tell me that he thinks he can do something but insurance doesn't cover it and to just get the molds of my mouth made and analyzed will cost $500. Treatment could cost a little or a lot more depending what is going on. Then once that is done they will need to repair the damage the grinding has done to my teeth which requires possibly root canals and definitely crowns on at least 4 of my molars. At least the nightguard makes it all bearable for now.
  • laurin2010
    Options
    I work at a dental office and the only way to relieve that is to see your dentist. Ask if they can make you a NTI for the time being until you get your wisdom teeth out (this is a temporary type of "splint" if you will that will give some sense of relief by keeping your teeth apart) we all suffer from stresses in our lives that we end up clenching and griding at all times of day and when you least know it--at night time, this is called nocturnal bruchsism and thus causing TMJ. I would not suggest going to the store and buying any mouth appliances. A splint is custom made (or atleast in our office) to set your joints into the right position (as we would call CR CO) *centric relation to centric occlusion-The only thing the store bought appliance will do is make it worse. A splint will create a "perfect bite" if you will, providing flawless guidence if made correctly relieveing your joints and keeping your teeth apart from further wear fassets. You will love your splint, I too wear one anc cannot sleep without it.