circuit training

Options
how does anyone calculate their burned exercise calories for circuit training? i weight about 190 and am 5'7 and have been doing circuit training once a week with a trainer, in a group class and by myself and i want to know how i should be calculating my calories burned. i was wondering how does anyone else do it?

thanks

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM- So I am not guessing how many calories I burn or relying on a website-
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wear a HR monitor also, but there is an entry for it in cardio exercise. how much you burn really does depend on how much your exerting/your heart rate that day
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Hi Kattina! Under cardiovascular is circuit training. When you are circuit training, do you do a set of muscle lifting and then a cardio move then a muscle then cardio again like that for one full hour? That is how this circuit training is set for under the cardiovascular exercise! I was logging my weightlifting hour as a circuit because I would lift upper body then a lower body for one hour without stopping but I did not have the cardio in between lifts so my HRM read way lower than what the log in says on here! So I suggest you use a HRM to get the real deal! Keep it up whatever you do!!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    If you have a HRM you can enter circuit training yourself-

Under my exercise I have one for spinning/weight training, one for gym-weights alone, one for spinning alone

I entered my own-
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I wear a HR monitor also, but there is an entry for it in cardio exercise. how much you burn really does depend on how much your exerting/your heart rate that day

that is very true some spin classes I burn 350 and some I burn almost 500- I push myself too but it also depends on the instructor as well
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to give a single answer since there are so many different circuits that can be designed.

For example: a circuit that includes only strength exercises performed at low reistance levels (e.g. 40% of 1RM) and that includes upper body exercises will not burn as many calories as a circuit that includes aerobic intervals (and HRMs will significantly overestimate calorie burn as HR will increase much more than oxygen uptake).

A circuit that includes more dynamic, cardio-type movements might burn more calories during the workout, but not result in as much post-exercise "burn" or as much of an increase in strength or lean body mass.

A HRM is probably the best tool, since it will provide some personal reference--ie. if you do the same circuit, the difference in numbers will probably represent a real difference even if the number is an over- or underestimate. However, to be on the same side, I would undercount the calories from an HRM by at least 20%.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

that is very true some spin classes I burn 350 and some I burn almost 500- I push myself too but it also depends on the instructor as well

isnt that the truth about the instructors!! crazy how that is
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options

isnt that the truth about the instructors!! crazy how that is

And I discovered yesterday that for me it even depends on how many people are in the class. If there are a small number, I find I don't push myself as hard for some reason. Weird.