Saying NO to the snack

Options
Usually I'm extremely good with not snacking on unhealthy things late at night, unless it was planned into the daily allowance (a night without the kids for a couple drinks at a pool hall or something like that). Last night after turning down banana chocolate chip pancakes for supper and having soup instead I was already putting my willpower to the test. Those pancakes smelled GOOD. My SO decided he was still hungry and went out to a local pizza place to get one of their personal pizzas, I told him to kindly eat it there since I wasn't going to be having any.

He brings home two and a large order of breadsticks! I love the man and he's super supportive of me wanting to get fit and exercise more, but I think in some ways he wants to sabotage my new mostly healthy eating habits. He figured since I only had soup for supper that it meant I needed something solid and that after a day of eating well I should be able to indulge. I tried to explain that it's more than just the amount of food (macros) and that I wasn't forcing him to eat different than he wants so he should respect my eating habits too.

Thankfully I managed to keep myself occupied by eating a bowl of snap peas with a hint of garlic powder on them, but I was really discouraged as to how much I wanted those breadsticks and even the pizza (which I never liked in the first place). How do you handle it when someone by accident or on purpose gives you a food tease? Do you give in and have some? Do you instead have something else that's better for you? Do you exercise to distract yourself?

Replies

• meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To be honest, from looking at your diary, you are eating so far UNDER what you should be for calories, it wouldn't have killed you to have one breadstick if you wanted it.

If I REALLY want something, I'll have a small piece or portion. That's what part of the lifestyle change is for me, is not depriving myself of anything I want to eat, just not overeating it or eating it all day every day. Especially if you eat slow and savor it.

Plus with my better diet and fitness, I find I get full faster anyways so I couldn't eat a whole personal pizza if i tried.
  • Anthyitis
    Anthyitis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some of my coworkers do this sometimes. All of them know that I'm losing weight and some of them are right there with me. Two of them just don't get it though. If it's something that I actually want and won't throw me off too badly, I'll eat it. If it's something that I want but just can't have that day (already had my snack or whatever), I'll put it away for the next day. If it's something that I don't want, didn't ask for and didn't even hint that I liked, I'll throw it away. If I'm sure that the person is just trying ti sabotage me, I'll also throw it away. I just tell myself that I don't need to eat things just because they're there.

My cube neighbor decided to "reward" me for my lunchtime walk by leaving a plastic cup full of banana pudding on my desk. I took two spoonfuls just so I wouldn't be lying when I told her it was delicious, then it went right in the trash. She had the nerve to ask me if I wanted more. >:(
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

If I REALLY want something, I'll have a small piece or portion. That's what part of the lifestyle change is for me, is not depriving myself of anything I want to eat, just not overeating it or eating it all day every day. Especially if you eat slow and savor it.

To be honest I think that's the part that bugged me the most about it, I didn"t really want it, its not something I would generally have chosen to eat before questing for better health, it's one of those situations where someone else is eating so of course my mind tells me I should as well, ever time he offered some, it made it that much harder. I completely agree that if I am craving something (frozen coffee beverages are my thing) I'll have it, or substitute something else I've found (cappuccino flavoured frozen yogurt).