very motivated to not :(

Options
Last year around this time I had begun my successful relationship with MFP. I ended up losing 43lbs and I was so happy with myself. It was almost to the point that I was obsessed with eating healthy, counting calories, and exercising. I was very pleased with the way I was beginning to be more confident with myself and then my birthday month came along. I did very well up until my birthday, November 12th. I flew out that morning for a two week vacation in Florida and ending on a cruise to the Bahamas. I didn't count the calories I was consuming but I never pigged out and I picked healthy choices.

When I came back, I just couldn't get back into it. Now it's August and I'm attempting for what feels like the one hundredth time and I'm having an awful time. I wish I could be more motivated like I was at the beginning.

Help!

Replies

• Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I totally understand! Last year I lost 50! And this summer I am looking at THOSE same 50 pounds AGAIN! ugh.....so I pretty much give up, atm I am eating mcdonalds, cookies and icecream....I am too old to lose the weight and I will have to just deal with my fatness til my death....Hope you can get back where you were, good luck!
  • ellisbass
    Options
    it doesn't matter... we are all going to die in the end
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options

LOVE IT!!
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    True, but I want to be one of those who really lives before they die. I've spent too many years not enjoying life because of the extra weight I carry around.
  • frhenderson
    Options
    I need lots of motivations to keep me going. Not a lot of one motivation, but a decent amount of lots of different motivations. I've started this journey many times for many different reasons, and each time I've learned a few more things that I can use to stay on track. Try making a list and when your current motivation isn't workings, grab another. I use:
    A dress from my year at goal weight hanging prominently in my closet.
    My profile pic, taken at my 10 yr HS reunion where "fat girl" showed up successful, beautiful, healthy, and confident.
    My son who wants to be like mom and struggles with his weight as a result.
    My dad who is going to need a new liver in a couple years.
    Getting from obese to overweight.
    Shaving time off my weekly treadmill 5k in preparation for a "real" one this fall.
    Encouraging the friends I have who are on the same journey and can't afford to have me fall off the wagon.
    Knowing I am giving myself a month of maintenance every 20 lbs lost, and that I probably won't want to take it.
  • ellisbass
    Options
    look... you can try to take the positive route and think that all of these motivations are going to help you but one thing will get in the way....LIFE. Sooner or later, life will end and it won't matter what you look like when you die
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Christ, what a depressing thread *drives to bridge*
  • frhenderson
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from and sorry if my response to your comment sounded trite or holier than thou. I know death is a fact of life and if trying to reach some elusive weight keeps you from living it will all be in vain when you're dead and buried. Right now I need to focus on the positive and the legacy I will leave behind, and I was speaking out of that and not as an argument against what you said. Sorry if it came across that way.
  • conner67
    Options
    Negatism won't get you very far in life period.!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Come on ladies!!! Only you can turn your life around, and if you want it badly enough you will achieve it! Especially since you did it once before you know it can be done! I have faith in you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options

How inspiring! enjoy your drive!!!

And to the OP well you have picked yourself up and dusted yourself down so try to start all over again!!! You can do it I am sure now you are back on the wagon :-)
  • Christophalon
    Christophalon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The author John Green recently commented on doing apparently easy things that seem difficult personally which I find really useful. The first step is accepting that you find them difficult and that, therefore, they are difficult. Some of the examples he gave are regularly brushing your teeth or posting a letter. On the face of it, these are trivial things, but it's an individual's experience of something that determines how hard they are. Just because you did it before and because eating well is fairly straightforward doesn't make it easy. Be proud of every small achievement you can make because they really are great achievements if you find the process difficult. Don't put yourself down or feel like you are a failure because you haven't slipped back into the old routine.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

And to the OP well you have picked yourself up and dusted yourself down so try to start all over again!!! You can do it I am sure now you are back on the wagon :-)

Sarcasm is clearly lost on you.
  • ellisbass
    Options
    Negatism won't get you very far in life period.!

Apparently i've gotten this far on it
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options

Sarcasm is clearly lost on you.

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! but usually contains some humour?
  • ellisbass
    Options
    all of you can be as positive as you want.. in the end we all lose, might as well have fun now
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have the tendency to be that way (unmotivated) too when I don't have that much weight to lose so I'm in the same boat...lost 35-40 lbs 5 years ago and gained about 10 over the last year or so and keep starting over only to get off track. Recently, I just told a bunch of my friends my goals so that they could help "keep me in check," so to speak, by nudging me in the right direction should they see me pick up anything that they know would set me back...maybe try that? :)