Restaurant Shame List

Options

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Don Pablo's Mexican Grill or Kitchen or whatever it is. Why the HECK should a chicken fajita salad have 841 calories, 45g fat, and 1268mg sodium WITHOUT Dressing or salsa?!?!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The one time I ate there I felt like I had just ingested an entire cow smothered in lard. Horrible.

BAHAHAHAAAAA! I know that feeling!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard their Bloomin' Onions are like 2,300 calories! (You'd have to be some kind of idiot to eat a whole one by yourself, but STILL)

<<<<That kind of idiot. Of course, that was like 4 years ago when I was rocking the whole "obese" thing, but still. I'm pretty sure I'm still that kind of idiot. Thank god they don't have that crap anywhere close to me.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with the notion that no one is forcing anyone to eat at any of these restaurants. And as for portion control, I'm all against that. I prefer going to a restaurant where the meals are extravagant. I've been to five star restaurants where more plate is shown then food.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    What is this "just eating half" that everyone is speaking of? I paid ten bucks for my meal. The cheap *kitten* in me demands I eat the entire thing. Which is why I pretty much avoid all the restaurants listed.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    At pf changs if you eat half a plate is decent amount of calories but you'll still be hungry. Last time I went to red robin they had an inocent looking salad at 1,000+ calories. I had a burger that day about the same calories but at least it wasnt lettuce.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my willpower,,, or should I say WON'T power is lacking.
    if I cannot leave the table and the uneaten half,, I am doomed.
    maybe I will try bringing a toy,,, like I was 5 years old to distract me ... sigh
  • monkeynumber100
    monkeynumber100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can go to Qdoba and get a naked chicken burrito and keep cheese off it, and it will run you about 400 calories, watch what you eat and don't overindulge.

THIS!!!

Qdoba is one of my go to places in a pinch. They have a cool feature on their website so you can customize what you ordered (or are about to order) so you can see the nutritional value of your exact meal. My go to is a Naked (no tortilla) Chicken Burrito with black beans, pinto beans, 3 kinds of salsa, lettuce and fajita veggies for 580 calories and 13g of fat. I think that is really good and it is a lot of food - probably enough for two meals for some. It is really heavy on sodium at 1655mg, but like I said "in a pinch".
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Baja Fresh is terrible. Someone mentioned Chiptole but Chiptole isn't bad if you pick carefully, no where near as bad as Baja Fresh. Chicken Quesadilla 1300 calories. I can make the same thing at home for half that.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Applebee's
    Texas Roadhouse
    Friendly's

I mostly eat at non-chain restaurants and I never know the calorie counts at those!

Got to disagree on the Texas Roadhouse one, you just need to look at the menu and pick smartly. They have some way over caloried stuff, but I had the Fillet, a baked potato with butter and a house salad and came in at about 800 calories which I thought was an awesome count considering :)

I have to admit though, if you get the blooming onion, and your steak loaded with cheese, and your potato loaded with bacon and cheese you are probably going to go over, but we are all smarter than that :)

This and applebee's has healthier options as well and they tell you right on the menu how many calories and stuff.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Got the spinach shrimp salad at applebee's (lunch portion but two helpings) and logged it... only to find out there were 800 calories in it! I was so mad.
  • smarty3
    smarty3 Posts: 11
    Options
    At places like Qdoba and Chipotle it's actually quite easy to get yummy entrees for low cals, just build it online before you go!
    Naked burritos are a blessing!
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is the WORST! Portion sizes are out of control!

^^THIS!!!
  • ncwinn4
    ncwinn4 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah someone already said it, but the margarita grilled chicken at chili's in the bomb. Order it without the chips, comes with blackbeans and a bed of rice. Seems pretty decent in my book. There are some places where you just cant find anything reasonable to eat. To name a few:

PF Changs
    Cheddars
    Any wing or pizza place
    I even think jason's deli can be a trap if you aren't careful.

An while of course its best to just avoid eating out all together, it's not always pratical. So when you do go out you'd like there to be some things to make you say "that's not so bad" instead of "well $#$% it". Personally I've noticed when I go out and eat something that's a calorie beast I tend to binge on throughout the day.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard their Bloomin' Onions are like 2,300 calories! (You'd have to be some kind of idiot to eat a whole one by yourself, but STILL)

<<<<That kind of idiot. Of course, that was like 4 years ago when I was rocking the whole "obese" thing, but still. I'm pretty sure I'm still that kind of idiot. Thank god they don't have that crap anywhere close to me.

Yes the blooming onion is terrible, but delicious, and I can't control myself if it's on the table... so now if we want an appetizer we split the seared ahi tuna, and then get the smallest steak, and veggies without butter or oil and squeeze a little lemon on it.. it's tasty.. and not a complete day ruiner. I've eaten at Outback several times and stayed on track, for the most part...
  • misticache
    Options
    CPK has the best salads... I go for the 1/2 Miso Salad with Shrimp... under 500 calories!!!

Cheesecake Factory has a fabulous menu called "Skinnylicious"... really good stuff and still big portions

I agree TGIF should just burn down. Even if I wanted fatty foods, I wouldn't pick that craptastic chain

Applebees is GROSS with a capital G

Fried Chicken Places: KFC, Popeye's and Cane's

Here's one that needs to go away: Long John Silvers..... WTF is this?

See I like Applebees because they at least make a token effort. Their under 550 menu has a few options and is actually pretty good. The Sirloin and Garlic Shrimp is actually pretty good IMO (other than the Sodium which of course is something all restaurants seem to have issues with).

I was just thinking of Applebees. I love their peppercorn steak with double steamed veggies. It is about 600 calories if I splurge and get a little butter for the veggies, but not too bad if I have prepared for a meal out. And usually I can only finish half of the steak anyway!

Applebee's has gotten in trouble many, many times with the FDA for their caloric value being completely incorrect. They are repeat offenders. They advertise food that is truly 1000+ calories as only being 500. Not all of them do this, but most of the ones in my area have been fined repeatedly for doing this. Just thought you might want to know.

I take back what I said about them then. I had no clue. Thanks for opening my eyes.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Every restaurant that ever served a salad.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    Baja Fresh is terrible. Someone mentioned Chiptole but Chiptole isn't bad if you pick carefully, no where near as bad as Baja Fresh. Chicken Quesadilla 1300 calories. I can make the same thing at home for half that.

But Baja Fresh tastes sooooooooooooo good. Thank god they don't have them here.
  • milele_transfome
    milele_transfome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm off topic, but I've found that my favorite chain choice is the IHOP chicken Florentine crepes with no Hollandaise and no cheese. SO tasty and I log it as if I had the Hollandaise and the cheese just in case my chef used extra butter or oil!
  • misticache
    Options
    I like Eat n Park because they have some good low calorie options. I like when they put the calories on the menu. Buffalo Wild Wings puts calories on to but problem is everything like over 1000 + calories.