Isometrics-does anyone still do them?

Options
Hi all, just wondered if anyone remembered the huge rage with doing isometrics? My favorite is, while I'm curling my hair each morning, to hold my stomach in for 30 seconds at a time. I can feel it raise my heartrate when I do it several times.

Does this really work???

Replies

• Terryb99
    Terryb99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Power90 workout now, day 79 of 90.
    Some of the weight routines, he says to hold for a few seconds, and I know it makes a huge difference in the intensity.

Yes, I think isometrics do work.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I do some mixed in with my other exercises. And I have some ab moves I do through the day that are isometrics.
    And they are effective for what they do, but using them as an "only" option, for me, did not really accomplish a whole lot. :)

So as an "add on" part of a good workout and eating plan - good
    As your only "exercise" option (assuming health matters do not limit you to only do that ) - for many people it probably would not be enough, to get reach their appearance or fitness goals.

About 10 years ago, their was a popular DVD series, and it was ONLY isometrics, I did it for a long time, as did a number of friends. And there were some results. But it eats up ALOT of time vs the amount of results for the time investment. (if thats all you do). And got boring fast.

I also had another series in about 1985, that was all isometrics. (different plan and trainer, but similar stuff) - also "hot" at the time, yes I had results, but boring, tedious, and not the pay off I hoped for.

IMO, the results are much more limited, and much slower manifesting - compared to a good plan that includes cardio training and resistance (weight lifting or resistance bands) with heavier weight, lower reps. You also will not "burn" as many calories in your workouts, which for me, do impact how fast I loose excess fat. And also effects my overall health and condition (cardio for example)

If you are starting with very low, or poor condition, or have never worked out. you will likely see some benefits. But eventually you are going to need to up the ante to continue to improve. (if that's your goal)

Which means ether adding in 8 million more reps (who has that time) or adding in weights. Because the body will reach a point where you are no longer stressing the muscle, so your body will not longer improve, in that area. And you may lose muscle mass in some ares, as you will not be stressing some areas enough to improve them

And for me, that point, was long before I had reached my desired goal, shape, size, weight. :)
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    great post, great info! I would never use them as my only means of exercise, but like I said, standing there in the morning getting ready for work I do some. Was just curious on people's take on this :)
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love Tamilee Webb ab work as she uses iso's, and I feel they are a definite benefit when combined with the rest of a healthy lifestyle (proper exercise & nutrition). Doing them in the AM while you're doing other things is fine, just don't do iso's as your ONLY form of exercise (unless you're very limited in motion due to injury or illness!)
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I love doing isometrics..seems like nobody likes them anymore. I picked up an old tip for every time I drive, whenever I hit a red light I'll flex my abs till I go through the next light. Won't do too much physically, but it helps with mind-muscle connection