Maintenance Phase / Body Composition Advice Sought

Questions for the team (in long story form)

I'm guessing I have about another month before I hit my goal weight. My concern is that my bf is not quite where I want it. Using tape measurements and the calculator at <www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html> I am at 16%, but would like to be 12%. I don't think three more pounds of weight loss will get me there.

What can I expect from the maintenance phase if I maintain my current workout sched (M/W/F strength and T/T cardio)? I know I won't gain muscle mass because I'm not eating at a surplus, but will I just stagnate at current body composistion? Do I need to start planning some bulking/cutting phases?

Ultimately, my goal is to see some ab definition (I can tell I'm getting close) without dropping too much weight (I'm 5'10") and getting berated by my spouse. Thanks to all.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    You will still make progress at maintenance, it's just that the progress will be less noticeable and it's likely that it will be slower.

You may want to consider bulking followed by another cut phase.

As it stands now, are your lifts going up on your current program, and are you doing a pre-written program that incorporates progression?

Your macros look reasonable, for what it's worth.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I'm sorry your spouse is berating you!! I hope you reach your goals, regardless.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    You will still make progress at maintenance, it's just that the progress will be less noticeable and it's likely that it will be slower.

As it stands now, are your lifts going up on your current program, and are you doing a pre-written program that incorporates progression?

Thanks for the reply and the macros check. I'm not using a pre-written strength program but take a notebook with me to every workout and log progress. Strength gains, while significant since I started two months back, have started to taper - I fully expected this. Will take your advice and start a bulking phase once I settle at maintenance and can determine my no-kidding TDEE.
  • Sidesteal

Thanks for the reply and the macros check. I'm not using a pre-written strength program but take a notebook with me to every workout and log progress. Strength gains, while significant since I started two months back, have started to taper - I fully expected this. Will take your advice and start a bulking phase once I settle at maintenance and can determine my no-kidding TDEE.

I would look at some pre-written lifting programs as well.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • whiteheaddg
    I'm sorry your spouse is berating you!! I hope you reach your goals, regardless.

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Last time I went through one of these cycles I dropped to 147 and was (a new term for me) skinny-fat. She wasn't a big fan of that look and doesn't want a repeat. Trying to do it smarter this time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

yep yep
  • whiteheaddg

I copied that workout down just a few days ago. It looks awesome - but I have lots of anxiety over the compound movements since I lift solo and am not as resilient as I once was. I think I will give it a go - starting light and focusing on form for the first couple of weeks. Thanks.
  • Sidesteal

I copied that workout down just a few days ago. It looks awesome - but I have lots of anxiety over the compound movements since I lift solo and am not as resilient as I once was. I think I will give it a go - starting light and focusing on form for the first couple of weeks. Thanks.

My training sucked for a long while for similar reasons. Learn to do the compound lifts, trust me. It is very, very much worth the invested time to learn them properly. You'll gain a TON of efficiency in your workout and in addition, they're basically fun as all hell. Doing weighted pullups or deadlifts beats the hell out of pulling on a cable. And that doesn't mean isolation lifts are bad, they're great -- but build the foundation about compounds and supplement with the isos where it's needed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

My training sucked for a long while for similar reasons. Learn to do the compound lifts, trust me. It is very, very much worth the invested time to learn them properly. You'll gain a TON of efficiency in your workout and in addition, they're basically fun as all hell. Doing weighted pullups or deadlifts beats the hell out of pulling on a cable. And that doesn't mean isolation lifts are bad, they're great -- but build the foundation about compounds and supplement with the isos where it's needed.

Not to mention how much more beneficial compound lifts are in day to day life than iso exercises.
  • Sidesteal

Not to mention how much more beneficial compound lifts are in day to day life than iso exercises.

True. That's indirectly what I was getting at with efficiency. To get a similar benefit from iso you'd have to do a freakin buttload of them.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member

I'm kinda in the same boat you are, 20% BF and trying to glide down to 17% and reevaluate from there. I started doing compound lifts in April and really happy I did. Weight loss has really slowed but I look better.
  • whiteheaddg
    Sold! Will shift tomorrow to a light lift / calisthenics day and start "A Simple Beginner's Routine" on Monday. I'll be back with tales of either success or debilitation.

Sincerely appreciate the guidance.
  • Sidesteal
    Sold! Will shift tomorrow to a light lift / calisthenics day and start "A Simple Beginner's Routine" on Monday. I'll be back with tales of either success or debilitation.

Make sure you have some method of learning the lifts properly, whether that's a trainer you trust, watching videos, etc.

Mark Rippetoe would be a good resource for online vids. Youtube him.
  • whiteheaddg

Make sure you have some method of learning the lifts properly, whether that's a trainer you trust, watching videos, etc.

Mark Rippetoe would be a good resource for online vids. Youtube him.

Yep! Reading bodybuilding.com articles now on squat and SLDL. Tuesday (day after) will be rough.