Does water cause bloating?

Options
emmoen1
emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
For the past week or so I have been consuming about 130 oz of water a day and I feel like my stomach is so bloated that it actually is starting to hurt... Is it possible the water is doing this to me?

Also, I occasionally go over in my sodium intake but only like once/twice a week.

Replies

• LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel like this about water sometimes. My tummy is my consious area and drinking water makes it look bigger and makes me feel fat. I do feel more awake and feel like I have more energy but the bloaty feeling it gives me isn't a nice effect.

I do try and cut out as much salt as possible to prevent water retention. I don't put any salt on my food and I try and avoid processed foods which usually contain quite a bit of salt.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    16 cups of water a day? Maybe you don't need that much if it's hurting you.
  • timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't getting to little salt with that though. Your body needs salt to regulate water levels. You might lose more weight but its because your dehydrating yourself.

As for water, yes it can bloat. You say your drinking 130 oz a day which is about 15 cups or so. Why? You don't need anywhere near that much water assuming you aren't doing keto.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Idk i have anywhere from 64 oz to 160 oz. Sometimes it does make me bloated but only when i intake too much sodium. It usually goes away tho
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    130 ounces of water is an awful lot. The recommended amount of water is 8 8oz glasses (64 ounces total) throughout the day, plus maybe an extra cup or two if you are working out or you're outside in the heat.

And that 8 cups of water number is including food, which usually provides about 20% of a person's daily water intake. More if you're eating lots of fruits and veggies, which are high water. So really the goal is somewhere around 6-7 cups that you actually drink. You're well over double that. More is not always better.

Easy way to find out if it's the water that's doing this - stop drinking so much water for a day or two. If you feel better, it was probably the water.
  • Kimberley_allyssia
    Options
    Do you drink because you feel thirsty all the time?
    If so you might just want to head over to your GP and just make sure everything is okay with yourself - I had to do the same as apparently it's one of the many symptons of being diabetic.
    But most likely will be fine! I was!! xxxxxx
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    16 cups of water a day? Maybe you don't need that much if it's hurting you.

^^^^^This.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I drink about that much, if I don't have much salt I try to have a little coconut water to restore electrolytes (it doesn't have the added sugar Gatorade does.)
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i drink 20oz with every meals (3) and snack (2) and sometimes to help prevent eating extra when I am bored or at night. Then another 20 oz when I workout.