NROLFW.... *gulp*

Options
So I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women and am excited to start it, but I'm also extremely extremely nervous. I frequent the gym but I usually use the cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, bike) and the weight machines. Never have I ventured into the free weights. It's really intimidating to me, and I am freaking out about going in there and having the stupid meatheads laugh at me. Or try to give me unwanted advice. Or have them simply pay attention to me. Has anyone else felt this? I know I need to just suck it up and do it, but I am just anxious because I've never done these exercises before, never been in that part of the gym before, and don't want to try out these new exercises in new territory in front of strangers/an audience.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice on how to relax about it, tips on how to ignore others, or just for someone to say they've been there and it all worked out in the end... prolly a combo of all three.

Comments welcome.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    One year ago I wwent for the first time in the free weights part of the gym.

I am a 4'11'' woman so I had no way to blend in!!!!

I faked it until I felt like I belong there. I never looked back and love heavy strength training.

You can do it. don't mind anyone else....do your thing. You will be happy you did.

Good luck
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it or think about it too much. As long as you walk around that area like you know what you're doing nobody will say anything to you at all. When I was using the gym I only used free weights, I actually felt more ridiculous using the weight machines then the free weights. Just be safe and use the proper form for everything and you'll be fine.

I was nervous the first time too. It gets more comfortable to use the free weights. Most likely nobody will pay too much attention to you. Just go in an own it!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Like the above poster said, just fake confidence until you actually feel confident. Besides, those meatheads are too busy admiring their abnormally large (and steroid induced) pecs to give two flying effs about anyone but themselves.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 1 of NROLFW and I'm LOVING the changes to my body, especially my arms!

Here is a link to a site that helps me track my workouts and progress: www.fitclick.com. Select New Rules of Lifting for Women as a "Workout Plan" and you are all set.

Also, youtube is a great place to view videos of certain exercises....it was especially helpful for demonstrating the "swissball jackknife."

It's understandable to be a little intimated by the "manly" weight section of the gym........believe me, I was previously the cardio queen! But you'll get the hang of it. Tap into your gym's staff or trainers if you feel you need a reassurance that you are using correct form or to answer questions.

Best wishes!!~
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Kick butt! Free weights is the best!! You hit so many different parts of your muscle. Also free weights lets you contour to your body, your not sitting in a machine that is made for everyone. Start light to get your stabalizing muscles and you're golden from that point on! I used to be a strictly machine girl but If there is free weight I do everything I can to avoid machines!
    Advice: Don't pay attention to others in the gym, focus on you. Everyone is at the gym for the same reason, to boost overall confidence and better your health! Sure you'll come accross ego lifters, but that's why you just focurs on what you're doing!

Good luck in your journey!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Define a "meathead"? Is that anyone with more muscle than you? Don't look at it that way. There are all sorts of variations of people in the free weight section. You're probably just not over there enough to recognize the different categories. Hang out over there and lift some stuff and you'll figure out who's there to admire themselves and who isn't. You'll get all the support or space you want. Most people on that side are too busy concentrating on lifting things to be too worried about if you're there or not.

It's not as if there's any desire to keep you locked up in the cardio section. Most guys are just surprised to see a woman lifting actual weights. At first people might think you got lost on the way to the Zumba room but keep doing your thing and everyone will figure out you're serious if they keep seeing you on that side.

As far as faking what you're doing there's always discussion between guys on what's the best way to do a specific exercise. It's not like we have it all figured out either. Everyone is learning always and it's common to see people checking out someone else's form, routine, etc. so don't be intimidated by being seen or watched briefly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, the big meathead types are usually the nicest guys around. Big ripped guys generally don't feel the need to prove anything and are less likely to have little man's disease. If they are real meatheads they are probably well versed on fitness and health and are sometimes all too happy to talk to your ear off on the subject if you let them. They like seeing people take up lifting and get engaged in the hobby. If anything, they are laughing at the cardio bunnies and the people on the machines; taking up free weights will probably bring the respect up a few notches if anything.

There are of course *kitten* in all walks of life. But give it a chance. Especially since you're a woman I bet you will get major props for trying out free weights and especially sticking to it. I'm sure there will be plenty of unsolicited advice, they're just trying to be helpful. Read up on the topic and then debate them on it ;)
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm enjoying the different perspectives, and it's helping to calm me down a bit. I'll be reading and re-reading the exercises I'll need to know for stage 1 so that I'll have a good idea of what's going to happen when I get in there. Also, does anyone know about how long it takes to do the workouts in stage 1? A rough guesstimate is fine, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to fit it into my hour lunch break (the gym's a 5 min walk away from my office so time for transportation isn't really an issue).
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Also every 'meathead' had to start somewhere. :) they weren't born that way! lol

I love the idea of NROLFW and am reading it also. I have had great advice on 5x5 for reps rather than NROLFW though but all free weights however you get into them will help. :) Just endurance occurs on low weight / high reps.

Joined the gym this week and although still a bit alien I am looking forward to lowering my BF further and seeing my muscles. :)
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! Hands down one of the best programs I've started (and actually stuck with for once!) The legs look great, and I can barely start to see def. in my arms. If the appearance change is minimal, the strength gain is much better than that! My bf is my trainer, he's a PT so I figure he knows what he's talking about. :) Trying to get him to actually lift with me though is another story...haha
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am currently on stage 3 of NROLFW and also love the program! It seems like stage 1 took about an hour for me each time. I bought a bench and weights on craigslist for about $200 and got almost everything I need to do it all at home. The book is great about giving alternative exercises to do at home. Check out the NROLFW groups on here for support!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The meatheads won't laugh at you and are usually very nice. The advice they give you is something you should be paying attention to, not disregarding. You'll find in most cases that it perfectly mirrors what the book tells you to do because guess what? That's what it's based on! The books slogan? "Lift like a man, look like a goddess" What do you think that means? It's telling you to go over there and do what they do!