Women: exercise on cramps?

Options
Hey ladies. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to deal with cramps interrupting your workout week? I get particularly horrendous cramps, not just like a little discomfort (which, you know, I could probably still jog or swim). I take a lot of ibuprofen, but there might be a day or two when I can barely get out of bed.

They SAY exercise is supposed to help, but by the time the really bad ones set in, that's just physically impossible.

Any suggestions for what to do on the really bad days, and then maybe also suggestions for the days with just medium cramps, to motivate me to exercise on them? I get my period only 22 days apart, so we're talking almost a fourth of my time being sacrificed to the menstruation gods. HALP!!!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Pepperment really helps with cramps, try drinking peppermint tea 30 minutes before you exercise or during your workout, or maybe a peppermint candy just be careful if it's in your mouth during exercise.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I used to have horrible cramps and could not stand working out during them. I didn't really have the option of skipping swim practice though, and I did not find that exercise helped. I found a heating pad after to be very helpful. I went on birth control and it made a world of a difference. My doctor was also willing to prescribe prescription strength pain killers if that didn't work--I think it was just going to be a higher dosage of ibuprofen though.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me if i knew my period was coming to take ibuprofien (or aleve) BEFORE the cramps start and it should lessen them quite a bit. i agree with everyone else as well: heating pad, peppermint, and birth control. i have two uteruses so my periods are usually twice as heavy as a normal person's and i found i can usually manage my cramps if i kinda know it's coming.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Birth control! I haven't had cramps in years.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Birth control!
    Seriously...if they're that debilitating, something can be done. See your doctor!

If you work out on a regular basis the rest of the month, eventually your periods should get lighter and less crampy as well....but its 2012..there's no reason your doctor can't find a way to help ease your issues!
  • babesintow
    Options
    I had also had horrible cramps that I could not get out of bed let alone move. No exercise would not have helped because after taking 5 or 6 advil was I even able to move. Finally I switched doctors, she listen and recommend a hysterectomy. I have been pain free and once there were to get a peek they found out what was causing the pain. Birth control would not have helped in my situation but does for others.

This doesn't seem to be an issue about working out it seems like this is an issue of your quality of life...you shouldn't be feeling like this and if your doctor doesn't listen find another one. You should be able to exercise while on your period, 2 advil should make it tolerable and you should not be stuck in bed ever. These could be signs of something more serious, you should see your doctor. It is about quality of life!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Warmth helps a LOT. I used to have cramps before I went on BC. That's my other suggestion...birth control. Just a low estrogen pill will do fine and not mess with your weight loss.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I had to go on BC for mine because they were so bad. It sucks but it has made it so those few days each month I can function like a normal person without wanting to crawl into a ball and cry of pain.

I find light exercise helps the ones I get now. Advil as soon as they begin (not when they get bad) and heat works wonders.
  • cheyennetheeventer
    cheyennetheeventer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have any more to say than everybody else, but I wish you luck and I hope that this is more motivation for you! Periods get lighter when you are skinnier. And for some people, cramps go away. :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I don't have any more to say than everybody else, but I wish you luck and I hope that this is more motivation for you! Periods get lighter when you are skinnier. And for some people, cramps go away. :)

^^This. Partially. My periods haven't gotten lighter, but the cramps (and dear jeebus I use to have horrible "eff the world" ones) have all but gone away.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My heavy bleeding and cramps really improved when I started running. They say that gentle or moderate exercise helps cramps, but for me it is only *intense* exercise that keeps them away. If I had only known twenty years ago that taking up running would get me those three days a month (well, like you, shorter than a month) that I couldn't function back again!

As others have said, start your ibuprofen (or naproxen, which works better) before the cramps set in, and take them at regular intervals for the next three days whether you have started to cramp or not. If necessary even set an alarm at night to have a bite and take your meds so that the cramps haven't set in before you wake up in the morning.

Take all month long: primrose oil, magnesium, really watch your sodium intake.

During your period, eat lots of oranges, drink water, some cramp tea/moon tea/whatever. Give yourself extra time to rest and sleep.

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but for me products like Pamprin that are intended to take care of cramps and other issues makes me *very* depressed. So also pay attention to whether you are taking a medication that steals your motivation/mood/energy during this already difficult time.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started taking a strong liquid calcium/magnesium supplement last year. Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, my period came and went with virtually NO cramps. I did some Googling and learned that taking Calcium (if you are deficient, and many/most women are) can help alleviate cramps. Mine have been SO much better ever since (about like they were when I was on BC). Win/win!

I take this one:
    http://www.integrativeinc.com/products/Products-by-Health-Concern/Musculoskeletal-and-Connective-Tissue/Bone/206012-Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium.aspx
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was a gymnast and track athlete in high school and track in college...honestly...when the bad cramps hit, I would just hit back harder

I always find doing higher intensity helped for some reason...but it had to be larger motor skills rather than the fine motor skills of gymnastics.

I would say try running or cardio-ing harder or do speed/intervals...it gets your mind off of the cramps :)
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercise like yoga is great for cramps. As a dance instructor, we do a yoga/pilates style mat workout at the beginning of every class. I can't skip out on teaching just because I'm on my period, and I've actually found that my cramps are relieved after teaching a class.
  • cheyennetheeventer
    cheyennetheeventer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I've rethought what I said. My periods are definetly lighter (barely any bleeding, only lasting 2-3 days), but the cramps are like hell, barely get out of bed cramps one month, where the next they never even appear. Plus it depends how skinny you are/were and what you are comparing to. :) Also, bananas help if you eat one right when you start feeling the pains.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    ...when the bad cramps hit, I would just hit back harder
    Same here....unless you're hitting menapause, its not like its going to go away anytime soon!

You can either let it control your life for a week out of every month, or you can take steps to make life easier!