Question about Protein Intake and Fat Loss + Muscle Gain

Options
13»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Chalean Extreme series for lifting as a beginner. Chalene is quirky and upbeat. The set is pretty stylized and a bit "hollywood", but I found the moves pretty approachable and they produced results. I've heard good things about the New Rules of LIfting for Women, but I don't know if you can easily get the kind of weight needed for a home gym experience?!?!? Not sure. I bought up to 25 lb weights to use for Chalean Extreme.

As for protein powder, I only use Muscle Milk right now and only two or three shakes a week. Don't know if it's fabulous or not, but i like it well enough.

Good luck!!

New Rules of Lifting for Women is about taking training techniques designed for the way powerlifters train and adapting them to a "woman-friendly" program. It was meant to be done in a gym and unless you have a squat rack at home with a couple hundred pounds of weight for your barbell it's not likely you'll be able to do it at home. There really is no substitute for a gym membership because you can not see the same kinds of improvements/gains working with a 20-30 lb weight as you would with a couple hundred pounds. Linear progression.

^^^^^Well this is a depressing statement! Everybody!!...if you can't afford a gym member just go lie down on the couch because you're f*cked.

In reality....there are ways to successfully strength train at home!!! I would 100% recommend getting the 'new rules of lifting for women'. It's a great read with tons of useful information. And the workout routine can be done at home. There are some modifications to the routine but it doesn't make it not effective. Even in the book they show modifications for people doing the workout at home. Squat rack with a couple hundreds of pounds?!??!?! Really.....most of us will never achieve that type of result from this program even at the gym.

Get your basics, some dumbbells (pass up those 2 and 5 pounders!! start at least at 10s) and a barbell, kettlebell, stability ball ect. If money is an issue...buy second hand (craigslist). I buy something every paycheck to add to my home gym. Also bodyweight exercises and calisthenics are amazing!!!! Google that stuff, lot's of routines out there on youtube and pinterest! I love JillIan Michaels DVDs......30 day shred, Extreme shed and shred and yoga meltdown. Where there is a will there is a way!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Chalean Extreme series for lifting as a beginner. Chalene is quirky and upbeat. The set is pretty stylized and a bit "hollywood", but I found the moves pretty approachable and they produced results. I've heard good things about the New Rules of LIfting for Women, but I don't know if you can easily get the kind of weight needed for a home gym experience?!?!? Not sure. I bought up to 25 lb weights to use for Chalean Extreme.

As for protein powder, I only use Muscle Milk right now and only two or three shakes a week. Don't know if it's fabulous or not, but i like it well enough.

Good luck!!

New Rules of Lifting for Women is about taking training techniques designed for the way powerlifters train and adapting them to a "woman-friendly" program. It was meant to be done in a gym and unless you have a squat rack at home with a couple hundred pounds of weight for your barbell it's not likely you'll be able to do it at home. There really is no substitute for a gym membership because you can not see the same kinds of improvements/gains working with a 20-30 lb weight as you would with a couple hundred pounds. Linear progression.

^^^^^Well this is a depressing statement! Everybody!!...if you can't afford a gym member just go lie down on the couch because you're f*cked.

In reality....there are ways to successfully strength train at home!!! I would 100% recommend getting the 'new rules of lifting for women'. It's a great read with tons of useful information. And the workout routine can be done at home. There are some modifications to the routine but it doesn't make it not effective. Even in the book they show modifications for people doing the workout at home. Squat rack with a couple hundreds of pounds?!??!?! Really.....most of us will never achieve that type of result from this program even at the gym.

Get your basics, some dumbbells (pass up those 2 and 5 pounders!! start at least at 10s) and a barbell, kettlebell, stability ball ect. If money is an issue...buy second hand (craigslist). I buy something every paycheck to add to my home gym. Also bodyweight exercises and calisthenics are amazing!!!! Google that stuff, lot's of routines out there on youtube and pinterest! I love JillIan Michaels DVDs......30 day shred, Extreme shed and shred and yoga meltdown. Where there is a will there is a way!

To be perfectly honest most women I see at the gym who bother to head over to the free weights section are moving 150+ lbs on the squat rack in no time.

I'm not saying you can't get fit at home. But getting fit is not the same thing as actual strength training. If you're not training for high weight/low rep compound movements, it's just not strength training. Does it have health benefits? Yes. Does it shape your body? It helps, sure. But it's not strength training. You clearly did not comprehend what I was trying to say.

Also Jillian Michaels DVDs are circuit training. Circuit training is not strength training. Very far from it actually.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've heard powerlifters joke that anything above 3 reps is cardio...
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

Good luck!!

To be perfectly honest most women I see at the gym who bother to head over to the free weights section are moving 150+ lbs on the squat rack in no time.

I'm not saying you can't get fit at home. But getting fit is not the same thing as actual strength training. If you're not training for high weight/low rep compound movements, it's just not strength training. Does it have health benefits? Yes. Does it shape your body? It helps, sure. But it's not strength training. You clearly did not comprehend what I was trying to say.

Also Jillian Michaels DVDs are circuit training. Circuit training is not strength training. Very far from it actually.

Every one has a starting point, a different level they are working at. The OP has no experience in strength training and starting at home to become 'fit' is fine for some people. She's got a long time to work up to squats with 150lbs. As in all aspects of exercise there are different levels of fitness and ability.

Jillian Michaels...yes I'll give you that one, it's circuit training. But the yoga meltdown DVD has bodyweight movements that require a lot of strength.

It's all in what your goal is - I could be wrong but I don't think her ultimate goal is to squat with 150lbs and I don't think most women need to work at that level to get the results we're seeking. Just as in some people run...and they aspire to do marathons. Other people run and they're happy with a 5k or less. It doesn't make them any less a runner. So when I drag my old *kitten* to my home gym and thrust my pitiful 12lb dumbbells in the air doing shoulder presses I AM STRENGTH TRAINING!
  • daniel1hp
    Options
    You definitely need some sort of protein powder. I recommend since you are almost vegan you get some sort of vegan protein powder. What I did was go onto a review site and picked the best one.

http://veganproteinpowders.net is a good site because it has a bunch of reviews based on taste, and a lot of vegan powders can taste really bad.
  • I do agree with you there. For me strength training means working your entire body at once. I consistently do pilates and yoga because they do work my entire body, and I love it. I'm looking for something different because I feel like my body is at a standstill. You are right with your assumption. If I can one day squat 150lbs, awesome! But that's not my goal. My goal now is to remain a healthy weight but tone up. I'm not looking to be completely ripped, but rather fit. I've come a long way already, but there are still certain parts of my body I really want to improve. (like a solid core, tighter thighs, and arms) I know I can achieve those things at home and in the gym. I'm just looking for more options, and seeing what else is out there that can help me achieve what I want for my health and confidence.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    I do agree with you there. For me strength training means working your entire body at once. I consistently do pilates and yoga because they do work my entire body, and I love it. I'm looking for something different because I feel like my body is at a standstill. You are right with your assumption. If I can one day squat 150lbs, awesome! But that's not my goal. My goal now is to remain a healthy weight but tone up. I'm not looking to be completely ripped, but rather fit. I've come a long way already, but there are still certain parts of my body I really want to improve. (like a solid core, tighter thighs, and arms) I know I can achieve those things at home and in the gym. I'm just looking for more options, and seeing what else is out there that can help me achieve what I want for my health and confidence.

Compound moves are great for getting results - just choose weights that challenge you
    squats
    deadlifts
    overhead presses
    bench presses

I would also invest in some protein powder! Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i get in about 220-270grams of protein per day

Also anything you need to know about Basic nutrition needs and how to calculate. Refer to this wonderful site

http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Try new rules of weight lifting for women, it's awesome! Each workout is a full body workout, you can do it at home, explains all the nutrition aspects too. Recommend 100%
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Something else to look into for getting ripped is kettlebells (you can use dumbells to its just harder to get between your legs) anyways dumbell swings and a few other things by this guy on youtube are intense it works your muscles like crazy and my heartrate gets to 160-175 bpm

here is the link he has some very nice information

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcroops?feature=g-all-u