Clean slate- stocking my kitchen in college. HELP!

Options
I’m heading back to college soon and I’m looking for advice! I have a full kitchen and plan on keeping it stocked with good healthy stuff but I don’t know what to get. I’m looking for advice on both snacks that are easy and on foods that take some preparation. Oh and any substitution suggestions would be great! For example I love rice but I recently found this grain-like seed called quinoa and it makes a great substitute.

I’m also looking for healthier versions of junk food that tastes similar. For example veggie chips instead of regular potato chips, banana ice cream instead of regular ice cream, and cauliflower bread instead of regular bread.

So I’m looking for more examples of those as well.

The kitchen at my parent’s house always has serious temptations that are basically impossible to get rid of because my sister and dad don’t like “rabbit food” and “that fake stuff” so I’m very excited to have a completely clean start and I would really like to show them that it’s possible to substitute junk food for healthier options. They have conceded on veggie chips at least, so it’s progress!

Replies

• UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Greek yogurt!
    Frigging amazing...
  • valspaeth
    valspaeth Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump! Don't have a full kitchen to myself, but I'd like to see the suggestions too!
  • mackie121
    mackie121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Omg I love that stuff! I eat it basically every morning and frozen it’s every more delicious!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    almond butter
    nuts
    kashi go lean cereal
    canned pumpkin (great to mix with cinnamon, sweetner and oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt etc)
    plain oatmeal
    low fat cottage cheese
    greak yogurt
    multi grain bread
    dried fruit
    low sodium canned soups
    Morning star veggie burgers
    hummus + veggies

and my new favorite, Peanut Butter & Co.'s Dark chocolate Dreams Peanut butter. Stick it in the freezer and it tastes like fudge. omgah *drool*
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Popchips, air popcorn, greek yogurt (I like chobani pineapple), frozen berries, tuna packs for a fast lunch (you can make a salad or a sandwich.)
  • mackie121
    Options
    i love Peanut Butter & Co.'s Dark chocolate Dreams Peanut butter! never though about freezing it though... yum sounds good. Air popcorn, never hears of that or almond butter. great suggestions thanks! is almond butter a good substitute for peanut butter? which one's better?
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! If you're looking for snacks -- dried okra, roasted and unsalted cashews, or roasted chickpeas (just roast them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper).

For healthy dinners, I'm a little less helpful -- I usually stick to simple dinners like a baked potato, sauteed mushrooms, and fresh green beans. I'm not sure how much fridge space you'll have.

Oh! And while I am not a big proponent of frozen meals, I think every college student needs to have at least one in their freezer. For frozen dinners, I am a HUGE fan of Amy's frozen meals. They are relatively healthy, vegetarian options which are also pretty filling.
  • gryphalkon
    Options
    bump for later!
  • mackie121
    Options
    Great thanks! i definitely agree about the frozen meals. I love cooking but lets be honest *points thumbs at self*busy college kid right here so I will definitely look into Amy’s frozen meals
    Oh always I have a full refrigerator! another reason I need lots of healthy options, if that thing’s not stocked my friends will think I’m nuts!
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Bagged salad, short cuts chicken (or any pre-cooked chicken), natural peanut butter, light string cheese, Luna bars, bananas, apples, greek yogurt, almonds, soup....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Things mentioned above, plus freeze big batches of things like homemade curry, soup, etc, instead of buying frozen meals :). For very little money you can make a weeks worth of soup.

I blog about some of the healthier versions of things I make (such as sugar and flour free banana brownies) at my blog :)
    http://fridaysatamys.blogspot.co.uk/
  • mackie121
    Options
    Bagged salad. how good is that for you? i've always had a fear that they put extra chemicals in it so it keeps for longer and that freaks me out a bit...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Wash it, or grow your own! You can seriously grow rocket just about anywhere, in a window pot or something :)