What does this mean?

Options
Okay, so I am (or appear) to be down 6 pounds from when I first started. Then I weigh myself again and go back right where I started. The next day I'm down 3 pounds then the next morning I'm down the next 3 pounds (for the six again) What does this mean?

I weighed myself this morning I was 154, so does that mean that is my weight because it keeps going back to this?

I have not noticed a change in the way my clothes feel yet, but seeing the numbers go down is kind of nice.

Replies

• Erica92627
    Options
    Okay, so I am (or appear) to be down 6 pounds from when I first started. Then I weigh myself again and go back right where I started. The next day I'm down 3 pounds then the next morning I'm down the next 3 pounds (for the six again) What does this mean?

I weighed myself this morning I was 154, so does that mean that is my weight because it keeps going back to this?

I have not noticed a change in the way my clothes feel yet, but seeing the numbers go down is kind of nice.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates...even throughout the day. You could eat something heavy one night and be up 5 pounds the next day but then back down to where you were the following day. The only thing I've found is that you need to be consistent. I weigh myself every day, in the morning, after I've eaten breakfast and after I've showered, with wet hair and my bath robe on. If these conditions are any different, I know the weight is not accurate. If my weight stays the same for two days in a row, I consider it accurate. Some days I'll be up 2 pounds but then back down the next day. When I don't drink enough water I'm usually up. You just need to find a consistent spot for you and stick with it. This is the only explanation I can find. Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

*Kistinbee*
  • Erica92627
    Options
    Thanks for that tip. I do notice that when I weigh with clothes on it usually can add about 2 pounds. I'll check my weight again tomorrow morning to see if it is the same, if it is then I have reason to be happy!

I have been bad though, on my water intake. I am either barely making the 8 glasses or not at all. I just don't get thirsty that often so I "forget" to drink. I don't drink coffee and I'm not too much into soda so that is not too much of a problem for me as being an alternative or reason why I am not drinking water. I love water, just can't find time to drink it all the time. Not a good excuse, but it is true.
  • Margy82
    Options
    I had a hard time drinking enough water at first. What helped me was to ALWAYS have a full bottle of water on my desk, cause if it is there you will drink it. Also, I take a couple of good gulps before I eat or if my tummy rumbles. Usually when you think your hungry, your actually thirsty Also, if you take a big drink in between your bits of food, you will get a lot of water down, but you will also get fuller faster and not eat as much. If I'm still hungry after supper, I will drink 12 oz or more of water then I am not hungry any more. Hopes this help with your water intake. I always find it easier to have two 32oz jugs with me, that way I know all I have to drink is two jugs, not 8 whole glasses, it just seems less to me.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ynot,

Yep, you can go 5 lbs up or down in a day. Mostly from waterweight. But I would never suggest weighing yourself with clothes on, if you do, do it with the same clothes ever time. Also, if you really want to be accurate, weigh yourself 3 to 4 times over a 24 hour period, and then average them out, then do it again the next day. Really the only way to be truely accurate about this stuff is to do multiple types of measurements, I.E. the scale, and body fat %, and measurements (waist, thighs, hips, bicepts, neck). If all or most of these are dropping, ITS WORKING. Even if the scale doesn't say so.