New to Lifting - Supplement Questions

Options
2»

Replies

• jjefferies7
    Options
    just take a multi from the grocery store or something.. its cheaper and just as effective... also dont waste your money on BCAA's they are ineffective. you get a sufficient amount of amino acids from the protein you eat.
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Quick recommendation based upon personal experience.

Recommended Supps:
    Decent multi-vitamin
    High quality Fish Oil (you want 1.5-2 grams of the good fats, so buy something like Ultra Omega 3 from NOW)

Optional Supps:
    Whey protein
    Casein/Blend Protein
    BCAA (highly recommend Scivation Xtend, pricey but good)
    Beta-Alanine (reduced soreness)
    Pre-workout supp (Nxplode, Craze, etc.)

Less Needed But Helpful:
    Super greens extract
    PAGG stack from 4HB
    COq10
    Glucosamine
    Vitamin D
    Potassium
    Chromium Picolante

I used to take every supplement listed above, my dining room looked like a GNC. Now I don't even use protein powders anymore, I get all my nutrients from whole foods as much as possible.

Diet looks like this:
    Constantly rotating blends of veggies - spinach, kale, chard, onions, carrots, peas, green beans, asparagus, etc.
    Low GI carbs - properly prepared legumes (black beans, garbanzo), seeds (quinoa), and tubers (sweet potatoes)
    Fruit - Only after training, vibrant colored fruits like berries, etc.
    Protein - chicken, turkey, grass fed ground beef, eggs. Highest quality you can afford. Shoot for ~1g protein per lean pound.

If you eat like the above, you will not need more than a daily multi and some fish oil.

I am running a large caloric deficit right now (shooting for 4k deficit a week), so I am taking more supps to counter-balance the reduced food intake.

For the average person, the supps just give you expensive urine. Try to get as much nutrients as possible from whole foods and you will be making great strides towards an overall healthier lifestyle.

This.