BF Weaning & How it Affects Weight?

Options
Hello there MFP folks! I have an 11 month old perfect little boy and I will be weaning soon. A year of breastfeeding has been exhausting! I must say, I have enjoyed getting to eat extra calories every day. I recently cut back to 250 extra since he is eating less. I will continue to decrease as we cut out feeding sessions.

In anyone's experience, how has weaning affected your weight loss....or gain? When he stops nursing, I will stop adding extra daily calories, of course. But are there any other suggestions or things I need to watch for (other than sore breasts) related to fitness, health and weight loss goals?

Thanks in advance! I want to be proactive and stay on the right track, especially since hormones will likely be wacky. Information is power!!

Replies

• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Put some cabbage leaves in your bra and keep changing them as they lose their crispness. They have a natural anti-inflammatory in them that will help with sore breasts and help dry up your milk. Also, watch out for fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, and any red sore parts that may appear on your breasts. Any of those symptoms can indicate mastitis, which needs the attention of a doctor.

That said, it sounds like you're handling reducing your calories pretty well. Just keep that up, and you'll do fine.

Congrats for having nursed for a year!
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As far as the weight loss goes I always held onto 10lbs while nursing. So when I stopped I dropped that weight.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Put some cabbage leaves in your bra and keep changing them as they lose their crispness. They have a natural anti-inflammatory in them that will help with sore breasts and help dry up your milk. Also, watch out for fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, and any red sore parts that may appear on your breasts. Any of those symptoms can indicate mastitis, which needs the attention of a doctor.

I got mastitis when I weaned my daughter and it was horrible!! I did not know they would help dry up milk, thanks for that tip.