Cardio vs. Strength training for quicker loss?

Options
I've seen some similar posts on here, but those were more for people focused on losing 10 lbs or less. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and as classes start again in just a month, I'm looking for something that will give me the best results inch-wise. For someone who has a LOT of weight to lose (again, more concerned about inches than just lbs), is it better to focus on cardio or strength training?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's more about your diet

definitely do the strength training though to make sure you keep as much muscle mass as possible while you eat at a deficit
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do both. If you have a long way to go, your body probably needs the benefit of both. I did both starting out to get the party started. Once I got closer to goal I cut the cardio way down and focused more on diet and strength training.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Do both...concentrating on just one won't really get you the fitness you need.
    Cardio burns more calories during the workout, but weights can help add muscle which will increase your BMR. That means more calories burned all the time.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I hate that it always comes down to cardio vs. strength on this site.

It's not black and white; you can, and SHOULD do both, especially if you're not really used to exercising. It will benefit you more in the future if you have a good strength foundation to pull from, because it encourages muscle and bone growth that will support the higher-impact of cardio as you increase that.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I lost over 120lbs by 2008, and I've let some of it creep back on but I'm only 9lbs away from where I got down to before.

I did both consistently. The cardio helps you with burning calories but I feel like the strength training helped the most because there are so many more benefits to it besides weight loss.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do both. If you have a long way to go, your body probably needs the benefit of both. I did both starting out to get the party started. Once I got closer to goal I cut the cardio way down and focused more on diet and strength training.

This was my plan, it worked very well.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

This.

It's a long, sometimes slow path, so be realistic.
  • lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay, will try and do both! I was just wondering which one to focus on more when exercising for someone who's particularly heavy. x) Thanks all for the help!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Alternate. Cardio will burn fat while strength training will build muscle, which will help you burn fat quicker!!! I do Power 90, which alternates cardio and strength training 6 days a week! I think that's the best way to go. If you have a high % of fat, you need cardio to help burn that off... but you also need muscle to burn it off! :)
  • lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This.

It's a long, sometimes slow path, so be realistic.
    I'm definitely trying to keep realistic goals. I'm not expecting to lose 10 inches in two days or anything, I just want to take advantage of my gym membership while I have it, and make the most of it. :smile:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your goal is probably different from the 3 meatheads (sorry guys, cracking on us) in here, so I'd focus on cardio while remembering the importance of strength training.

Start light on strength training, spending up to maybe 2 months just getting your form down on lifts.

None of us advise jumping under a bar and starting heavy squats cold or anything like that.

You'll thank yourself for the stength training when you approach your goal weight.
  • littlecompton
    Options

What are some strength training exercises that don't involve using a machine/joining a gym? Something I can do at home.
    Thanks!
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    strength training....The "After Burn"
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i spend 75% of my workout cardio and 25% strength training but i make it count
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Do both, do both, do both. Bigger cars burn more fuel to run. It's the same with your muscles. Muscles are the powerhouse within your body. They burn calories whilst just existing. The more muscle you get, the more calories you will burn even at rest. By lifting weights you will burn the carbs that get stored there from the food you eat. If you follow your weight routine with cardio (like I do), your body will have no choice but to burn fat as it's the only thing left (provided you aren't consuming much 'bad sugar'). While your muscles repair after you've finished your workout, and for up to 36 hours afterwards, you will continue to burn calories. A lot of women concentrate on cardio under the impression that this is the best way to lose weight. Although this will work eventually, their shape and physical appearance will differ dramatically to that of someone who adds weights to their workout.

From what you've said about yourself, I feel doing both will not only help you lose the weight quicker (burning calories at rest), but the muscle will start to become defined ready for when the fat has gone and reveal them and the hard work you have put in.

I was just doing cardio until a body builder at the mainly male gym I go to advised me to do weights. I had been doing a lot of moaning and I think he just felt sorry for me! I have certainly noticed a difference. 4lb lost in the last 8 days!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

What are some strength training exercises that don't involve using a machine/joining a gym? Something I can do at home.
    Thanks!

I was under the impression that you have to lift heavy to get good results, so buying weights is probably your only option.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I do power 90, which is a dvd workout that alternates cardio and strength training. I do it all right at home. Buy a few different sets of dumb bells at different weights and either buy a dvd program or google some moves that you can do!!
    it's very easy to do it right at home!
  • Dinachick
    Dinachick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Joyce Vedral dvds. I am starting the Bottoms Up and Fast Forward series. She is in her late 60's and has an amazing physique!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I personally have a lot of weight to lose(40lbs). I like the JM 30 day shred. after I got done with that I switched to doing Just Dance sweat workouts and Zumba (LOVE IT!). Did each of these for a month each. Now I alternate days with both.

Mon, Wed, Fri- Cardio
    Tues, Thur- Strength training
    Sat and Sunday - Rest

So far I have dropped 4lb in 2 weeks which is the most I have lost at a time usually I lose 3lbs a month.

So I agree with everyone else do BOTH!.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The trick is finding out what works for you. If you have a gym membership try everything until you find what you enjoy.

I do 75% Heavy lifting and 25% Cardio. Lifting first, cardio after. But I also do a class every now and again for fun.

Good luck