Bipolar and exercise....

Options
I've been diagnosed with bipolar (type ii) since I was about 10 or so. I find that exercise makes me far less likely to dip down into depression, but it also fuels my manic tendencies and I've felt a little manic all the time lately. I don't mind it so much, I like my mania for the most part (I think a lot of manic depressives do) and I have ways to chill myself out when I want to do crazy sh-t like clean my house for 48 hours straight or start midnight household renovations, but I was wondering if anyone out there has the same issue. I can't be just me...:)

Replies

• African_Safari
    African_Safari Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YUP!!! me too!! Since I started going back to the gym I feel a huge difference and actually want to "DO" stuff on the weekends. I do still however get into the dip where I absolutely want to do nothing and eat awful stuff, It's a vicious circle for sure. Manic stage... I LOVE IT!!!! i was there last weekends, steam cleaned my entire house and stairs - twice, vaccuumed the entire house, cleaned out my closet, re organized the drawers...I can go on and on...I was absolutely exhausted afterwards but felt so good about all the things I accomplished.
    You are not alone at all now if we can just stay on that "high" all the time hey :bigsmile:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I wish I cleaned when I'm up. I just go out and just spend money I don't have!
    You can always clean my flat ladies!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Haha, I have actually been known to go and clean houses that weren't mine, so I may take you up on that someday ;). I imagine it just depends on your natural tendencies. I'm more of a homebody so mostly what I do is clean and garden (I've also been known to bake myself into a corner, filling my kitchen with every type of baked good imaginable), but my best friend is super cute and stylish and can go out and spend a fortune when she's up. When I was younger I'd do really stupid stuff, but I've chilled out significantly since then. Thanks for the responses ladies, I was feeling a little nutty today :)
  • African_Safari
    Options

LOL... I sometimes want to do that when I'm at my friend's place!! but they might be offended then. When I'm at my lowest is when I spend the money. It always makes me feel better...for the moment though because we all know we have to eventually pay them back right?? :noway:
  • African_Safari
    Options
    Haha, I have actually been known to go and clean houses that weren't mine, so I may take you up on that someday ;). I imagine it just depends on your natural tendencies. I'm more of a homebody so mostly what I do is clean and garden (I've also been known to bake myself into a corner, filling my kitchen with every type of baked good imaginable), but my best friend is super cute and stylish and can go out and spend a fortune when she's up. When I was younger I'd do really stupid stuff, but I've chilled out significantly since then. Thanks for the responses ladies, I was feeling a little nutty today :)

too funny :) I think we all feel nutty sometimes. I'm always here to talk to if you like :flowerforyou:
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Oh, that high....I love it, the only time were I feel "right". I clean as well, paints (my kitchen as well as paintings) and plan all kind of crazy things. Once I had some friends over and I got up, in the middle of dinner, and went to wash the stairwell. I just couldn´t sit still. I never thought about if there was a connection between exercise and the manic. I really feel better, but manic? It just hits me without any- as far as I know- explanation. I´m mostly rapid cycling but also have periods. The best part of my life is when I´m having a manic period. But the bill has to be paid later.... There´s quite a lot of us here on MFP.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    YUP!!! me too!! Since I started going back to the gym I feel a huge difference and actually want to "DO" stuff on the weekends. I do still however get into the dip where I absolutely want to do nothing and eat awful stuff, It's a vicious circle for sure. Manic stage... I LOVE IT!!!! i was there last weekends, steam cleaned my entire house and stairs - twice, vaccuumed the entire house, cleaned out my closet, re organized the drawers...I can go on and on...I was absolutely exhausted afterwards but felt so good about all the things I accomplished.
    You are not alone at all now if we can just stay on that "high" all the time hey :bigsmile:
    I get a lot of medication to keep me under control. It works, but I really sometimes miss the old, crazy me. I miss the "high", it´s like a drug, you get addicted. And the feeling of doing stuff. I mean... REALLY doing stuff. At any time of day or night. How are you ladies? Are you stabil?