Macro Help Needed

Options
I was told recently that for weight loss and muscle gain my macros should be 25C/35P/40F. While I know that "clean fat" is not the enemy, it doesn't make sense to me that such a large percentage of my calorie intake should be from fat. My goal is to lose 50 lbs. My current lifestyle would sort of suffer to cut carbs from 40C/30P/30F. But then again, what would I have to lose? Fat? Your thoughts and help are appreciated. :smooched:

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat- it has lots of beneficial metabolic functions and is very satisfying. Calorie surplus is the only thing that makes you fat- unless you have a metabolic condition that would dictate low carbohydrate diet. I personally tend towards the 40-30-30 approach, but there really is no one macro setup that works best for everyone. Get a minimum of 1g protein/lb LBM to minimize muscle loss, and the carbs and fat are negotiable.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Which macro would best suits you is dependent on the type of training you're doing. Most likely either Is fine, as long as you maintain the proper calorie deficit. Also, when you eat fat it doesn't automatically turn into fat on your body. It has to be processed just like protein and carbs before it becomes energy. If anything, fat is harder for your body to convert to energy than carbs. Fat won't make you fat. Eating too much if anything will.

Edited to add: Dammit Bean, you're killing me here! How do you keep giving awesome responses before I can post?
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    I've had the best luck with 40P/40C/20F
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Which macro would best suits you is dependent on the type of training you're doing. Most likely either Is fine, as long as you maintain the proper calorie deficit. Also, when you eat fat it doesn't automatically turn into fat on your body. It has to be processed just like protein and carbs before it becomes energy. If anything, fat is harder for your body to convert to energy than carbs. Fat won't make you fat. Eating too much if anything will.

Edited to add: Dammit Bean, you're killing me here! How do you keep giving awesome responses before I can post?

LOL DP- What I do, is surf the forums for topics I think you'll be interested in, and then type REALLY fast! ha! :flowerforyou:
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In my experience, someone who claims to know the one best macro ratio for you is someone who should be ignored. The people really worth listening to are the people who admit they don't have perfect information (nobody in the nutrition world does) and instead of telling you what to do, they give you the information they know and allow you to make your own choices once you're educated.

There are a lot of different theories about which nutrient ratio is best, but none has actually been proven superior. All we know for sure are things that are pretty common sense (for example, a diet that's very very low in any one macro for the long term is going to cause you problems). As long as you're getting sufficient amounts of each nutrient to fuel your body, there is a fair bit of wiggle room, and different people seem to have success on different types of plans.

There is no one right answer. I think the best approach is first to make sure your minimum requirements are met, and then find a balance between what you believe is ideal for your goals and what you believe is realistic for you.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, so much!