Homemade yogurt

Options
sbrooks0387
sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
I have been eating light yogurt thinking it was a "healthy" food for me then i read the ingredients and ingredient number 2 is sugar so after some research and talking to a fam friend i tried making my own and it was super easy and no sugar!

Need:
Milk (any kind works the more fat content the thicker the yogurt will be)
Glass canning jars
Starter (either buy active cultures to add to the yogurt or use 1 TBS of a store bought yogurt as a starter. Stonyfields organic plain is a good brand to use)
Thermoniter (i have found i like digital best)

Directions:
1) Heat milk to 160-180 degree F.
2) cool milk to 110 degrees F.
3) Wisk in starter. I use 1 TBS per 4 cups of milk
4) pour mixture into glass jars
5) the tricky part keep mixture at 110 degree F for 5-6 hrs. a range of 112-108 is ok. i put the jars into a water bath in my crockpot and cover with Al foil and 2 hand towels. every hour i have to set it to warm turn it off when it reaches 111 and it is usally good for an hour.
6) when time is up put a top on and place in fridge till cool then enjoy. the cals is only the milk you used to start with.

Hints:
- flavor with fresh fruit
-Cinnamon works great to get rid of the sour plain taste
-you can add 1/2 Cup of powdered milk when you are heating it up to make a thicker yogurt but remember it will change the cals per cup

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I make homemade yogurt in the crockpot over night, its super easy and simple since you dont have to 'watch' it as much as i did when i made it on the stove top.