At the end of the day......five weeks from now ??

Options
Anyone who has been here awhile....I have a question. At the end of logging all your food and exercise for the day, and entering it, at the bottom of the screen appears a message. " If you continue to do like you did today....in five weeks you could expect to weigh...xxxx." (or something to that effect. Has that been the norm for anyone? I have been eating and exercising about the same amount for two weeks.....but that number that appears sure doesn't seem like it is going to happen, Thoughts??

Replies

• golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    No, I never hit complete.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The whole "Create a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb of fat" thing is pure bunkum.

Never has worked consistantly, never will.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    no thats way off for me!! it always tells me i will lose like 13 lbs!! i wish! in five weeks i can normally only lose abt 8 maybe 9
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Good post! I was thinking the same thing :)
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That little message is a big fat lie every day!!

I hate that message.
  • muffinattack
    muffinattack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It pretty much just calculates your deficit and does the math from there. It doesn't factor in people'se lifestyles and that fact that you could plateau. It's not accurate for me at all.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more to factor into weight loss than the 'calorie in calorie out theory'. In ideal circumstances yes anything over a 500 a day deficit would lose you a lb a week but that just isnt fact, its just an estimate probably created to give everyone motivation.
  • alobmaster
    Options
    ya-I don't see it ever being truthful for me either. I"ve only been here 2 wks but have hardly seen the scale move and I've been super strict.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    yea, this is pretty much what I have been thinking. If it WAS truthful.....I would lose 15 pounds in the next five weeks. That would be GREAT....but the scales only go down alittle. It is frustrating.....I have one and a half days where I eat just a tad more than normal......and I gain two pounds...and it takes me a week to get it back off. so frustrating.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Nope never met it either, but it is nice to see it!
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the little message! I find it very motivational. It's like a fortune cookie fortune, without the calories, but with the possibility of being more accurate. ;)
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That number is exciting to imagine but the truth for me is quite different. In 5 weeks I'm lucky if I'm down 6 or 7 lbs even being really strict with my food.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Actually, mine has been pretty accurate. Granted, there were times I hiccuped and gained some water weight, lost it, and then lost some actual lbs. majority of the time, it's been good to me.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ya-I don't see it ever being truthful for me either. I"ve only been here 2 wks but have hardly seen the scale move and I've been super strict.

If you have been here two weeks and have lost two pounds you are right on track! Congrats! Keep up the good work! =)
  • itsrebec
    itsrebec Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm only in my fourth day, but I sure HOPE I way that in five weeks (and I'm sad to see that it is not the case for the majority of you!)

School starts in five weeks, and I'd love to lose a few before it does.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    Never :ohwell: would be nice though!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    it's not true.....it's just a fun little estimate at best.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I hit complete at the end of every day. I was so excited to see what that number would be in 5 weeks. When 5 weeks came and left and I was nowhere near what it said, I became quite frustrated. I tried for the next 5 weeks (the definition of insanity, I believe), and still wasn't even close to what the first 5 weeks was supposed to be. So, in answer to your question, no, for me, this has yet to actually be true... if it were, I'd have lost a LOT of weight and very quickly. On most days, it tells me that in 5 weeks I would've lost somewhere between 20-30 lbs... how great would that be?! As others have pointed out, there is so much more to this than calories in/out.

For the record, I no longer hit the complete button at the end of the day because it does nothing but frustrate me.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It has been telling me lies!!!
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Since I tend to focus on meeting my calorie deficit on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis (some days over and some days under) it's usually not accurate on a given day, but if I went to the trouble of averaging the values it would be dead on over the course of five weeks. It's a good reminder to me that I need to look towards the long term rather than letting the daily or weekly results on the scale. I don't need to worry about a two week plateau, because my body has always caught up eventually.