'Net' calorie minimum requirement?

Options
Hey all;

I had a friend (former fitness coach) tell me that if I ate less than1,200 calories per day, my body could perceive 'starvation' and try to store every calorie it could as fat.

My goal/plan is to lose one pound per week and my BMR is just over 2200 calories per day, so I'm at a 1710 limit. Today I've taken in 1400+ but I exercised 650 so my NET calorie intake is just under 800. My question is this:

Do I have to find another 400 calories to eat? Not that it would be difficult but if I'm not HUNGRY for them I'd just as soon not. By the same token, I don't want my body to perceive starvation.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't get this whole thing either. I never eat all of my calories..and am not losing the weight like I want to. I get scolded every time I close my diary that my body is going into starvation mode...I just can't eat when I'm not hungry.

ps (added) I am walking 3 miles a day @ 3mph every other day ...had been doing every day but it was suggested that I try to trick my body by taking a day off.
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    punkmom1962: thanks for the reply. To add to the confusion: when I laid out my goals MFP gave me a BMR of 2200 (about) but their BMR calculator on the tools page only gives me a little over 1700. If that's the case, I'm not cutting any calories from my BMR at all. MORE confusion. :-)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You are going to see yes and no from everyone on here. people have experienced success with either eating back calories or not. Its really up to you to experiment and see what your body likes best. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer.
  • frankborelli
    Options
    myfitnessval: thanks. I am not so worried about whether or not I eat my calories back as I am about whether or not I have to insure a net intake of at least 1200 calories per day.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, eat back those 400 calories to reach 1200. I think the people that don't eat back their workout calories are the ones that have their calorie intake set at, say, 1800. So if they burn only 600 calories, well, they've still got a net calorie intake of 1200 so no need to really eat back the burned ones. I've been on the 2lb a week plan (1200 cal/day) for 8 weeks now and I've consistently lost the 2lbs/week eating back my calories and then some. It's can be trial and error, but I'd say you want to atleast get your net cals to 1200. Good luck!
  • frankborelli
    Options
    thanks chopstixfour1. I just figured out what I can have for a semi-healthy snack and get to about 1170. close enough! I'm sure I missed a few calories someplace... I appreciate al the feedback folks!