High Sodium suggestions

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
This is backwards from what most people ask about sodium but....

As per Doctor's orders;
I need to eat MORE of it. 2,500mg is my minimum per day and I am having trouble reaching it with a low calorie limit.

Beef jerky is fantastic, because it is low cal and high protein AND high sodium but I just don't have the money to be buying a pack of that a day.

I've been adding salt packets to my water and to my food, but each packet is only 270mg.

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    One teaspoon of soy sauce should be around 300 mg, it's a nice condiment if you like its taste.

ETA: And it's around 8-10 calories.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I generally don't like salt sprinkled on top of food (cooked in is ok) but I do like toast with avocado spread on it and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Also I'd think just adding a packet to anything you eat would work.

Also - Bacon.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    How about just dumping salt on everything you eat, low cal salad dressings are usually high in sodium, processed meats and cheese are high as well. Canned soups are high in sodium.

I don't know how low calories you eat but 2500mg should be EASY TO EAT. especially if you are consuming at LEAST 1200 calories if not more.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I really do not like the taste of added salt, but I have been trying to put it onto my everyday food.

I can try cooking meats with the salt, that might make it less harsh.

I'll have to learn to like soy sauce, because I have 2 bottles of it but haven't ever used them. The soups, meats, cheeses are a great idea, I forgot about those!

I eat 1400-1600 a day and usually come out right at 2500mg. I really need to have more than that to feel well. On days where I try really hard to meet my macros (enough protein, etc..) I only get about 1200mg.

I appreciate the replies, thank you. :glasses:
  • Net132
    Net132 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese for about 90 calories and 14 grams of protein it packs on 440mg of sodium. Flavored rice cakes 70 Calories for 110 sodium. Go back to canned beans and don't drain and strain them. Chick peas1/2 cup 100 calories 360 sodium 6 protein and 7g fiber. Strong cheese feta, parmesan, blue cheese. Gatorade 80 calories for 160 mg of sodium. Soy sauce, franks red hot sauce mustard's all are very low or no calories. My one sister is on a high sodium diet and my other sister is on a low sodium diet. Also try cooking with added salt not just dumping it on everythning! Hope that helps:smile:
  • miss_september
    Options
    I don't know if you can find it, but Aloha Shoyu brand soy sauce is 0 calories and like 780mg of sodium for 1 Tbsp. Or drink bullion dissolved in water, a mug of boiling water with 1-2 bullion cubes.
  • schiesm
    schiesm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have very low blood pressure and my Dr. tells me to keep increasing my sodium intake. Pickles and Roman noodles flavor packets dissolved( I try to stay away from the noodles) in hot water are two of my top options. I want to be very careful not to put on the pounds while increasing the sodium intake.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    salted nuts. nut butters, processed/frozen chicken breasts and other seasoned meats, salad dressings and other condiments, hummus and commercially prepared dips, pizza, almost any frozen dinner like Lean Cuisine, etc.

I'm on the other end with sodium and need to limit how much I eat. Those are a few of the things that I avoid
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    My son has a heart condition and the doctor has also told him to eat more salt. After many reccomendations because I also do not cook with salt at home, I found that you can ask the pharmacist and they have salt tablets they keep behind the counter. You can buy them with out a prescription but they will talk with you about why you are buying them and look for contraindications with other meds you might be taking.
  • PandaDreamerGurl
    Options
    Salted popcorn. A bag is like 150 calories and the sodium amount is ridiculous... Like over 1000mg.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bullion cubes. You can make a soup using a cup of hot water and a cube. 5 calories and 900mg of sodium.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are pretty good. Especially if you buy them pre-packaged. Like a Bob Evans brand.
    Salami and Turkey are also pretty high in sodium if you enjoy lunch meat.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms condiments and dressings- 0 calories, but they still have sodium
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Salsa, bbq sauce, salted butter or margarine; basically any condiment or spread you like will have high sodium. Cottage cheese and processed cheese slices (like Kraft, Velveeta or Black Diamond) have a lot of sodium and will last several days.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Wow so many great ideas. Thank you.

It is my mixture of mood medication along with low blood pressure that is requiring the salt increase. Before the mood meds I would be ok at 1800mg or so (but no lower).
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also salted pumpkin seeds are pretty lox cal, just suck on them before cracking the seeds out. About 85 seeds per oz.
  • vcreinert
    Options
    Eat Lean Cuisines. They are full of sodium.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    generally lunch meats are high in sodium if you don't go for the "lower sodium' especially ham.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have very low blood pressure and my Dr. tells me to keep increasing my sodium intake. Pickles and Roman noodles flavor packets dissolved( I try to stay away from the noodles) in hot water are two of my top options. I want to be very careful not to put on the pounds while increasing the sodium intake.

I too have low BP & told to eat more sodium, I know a lot of foods have it in but to add it to anything myself, blech!!!:tongue:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is high in sodium (well, all cheeses, but it seems to be the highest). Lunch or deli meats are also high in sodium. I'm trying to think of ideas that are still relatively healthy... hmm... pretzels? salsa with veggies?