Couch to 5K or ??? Need beginner exercise help please!

Options
I've been hitting some pretty big hurdles in the short time I've been trying to work out and need a bit of advice please. Where do you find the Couch to 5k program? Is there a standard one that is best or are any of the apps fine to use? Also, is it something that can be done by someone with physical limitations? I am not even supposed to be exercising right now, but honestly I feel that I have to. I'm so frustrated by doctors not being able to give me straight answers about my health right now and I need to at least push myself a bit more each day? Is there a cardio program that starts pretty slow and builds up? I have to drive to go walking anywhere, so daily is a bit of a challenge for the next week or so. Would going walking every morning be enough to get me started on the right path?

Sorry for all of the questions. Frustration has taken over. lol

Replies

• t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The "official" couch to 5k site is here
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

I would recommend walking first. Build up slowly.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i would try the WII fit. they have all levels of exercise and alot of them are actually pretty fun. and of course just walking.
  • SVPQR
    SVPQR Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there lifesazoo!

I love Couch to 5k! Its really helped me shave a couple minutes off my miles. There are three days that you run in a week so you dont have to do it daily and it makes room for rest days/commutes, etc. I will describe day one so you can see if that works for you? If memory serves me correctly its a 30 minute exercise, 10 of those minute will come from a 5 minute warm up and cool down. During those two phases you will just be walking. After the 5 minutes of warming up you will jog for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds, it alternates like that till you reach your cooldown. I think C25K starts off pretty slow and does a good job at building up. Best of luck, feel free to add me I would love to see how you progress should you choose to get it!!!
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe Leslie Sansone would be a good option to get you started? You can do her basic "walking" DVDs to build up your endurance. Walking in quotations because it's more like a general aerobics more than strictly walking since she adds side steps, knee lifts, kicks, etc. and a two minute jog at the end of each mile. It's definitely good for beginners. I started with one of her "Walk Away The Pounds" dvds and now thanks to the strength I've built up, I've started the C25K.