Optimum Time for Training

Options
Here is an excerpt from The Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding that answers one of the questions I get asked the most. I always say find the motivation not just to exercise but the motivation to form a habit, a routine.. A simple 30min walk everyday for 30 days will get you in the routine, without burning you out. After that, build to more. Time and time again, I see people quit just because they went too hard, too fast, and they just weren't ready for it.

Optimal Time for Training--- You can boost the success of your aerobic workout by training at specific times. Early morning is one of the best possible times to get in an aerobic workout, but it's not the only time that offers extra fat-burning benefits. Right after a weight-training session your body is in fat-burning mode. Your metabolism is high from the weight training and you have used most of your glycogen stores during the strength-training session. Your body burns off more fat for fuel sooner. Post-weightlifting is an excellent time to squeeze in an aerobic workout and take advantage of the fat-burning processes already at work. **BUT REMEMBER** The key to success is CONSISTENCY! Far more than time of day! As long as you're doing those 3-5 30-45min sessions per week, you're doing fine!! Don't let anyone tell you that you must exercise at any particular time.

-Jenae
"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness (Daily motivation, to keep you going!)

Replies

• trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No evidence to back this up so feel free to call me out, but I heard that men's testosterone level is at it's highest around 4-6pm and also makes a good time to workout (at least for guys).

Before I heard this I had noticed that my workouts were longer and more successful if I did them right after work (5:30) vs. trying to do them in the morning and struggling a lot... Im sure that varies by person, so take it for what it's worth.

I do like the idea of cardio right after weights... Been doing that for a few weeks.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No evidence to back this up so feel free to call me out, but I heard that men's testosterone level is at it's highest around 4-6pm and also makes a good time to workout (at least for guys).

Before I heard this I had noticed that my workouts were longer and more successful if I did them right after work (5:30) vs. trying to do them in the morning and struggling a lot... Im sure that varies by person, so take it for what it's worth.

I do like the idea of cardio right after weights... Been doing that for a few weeks.

That may be true, but the point is that, yes, a certain time may give you a little "boost" but you don't need to miss out on a workout because you can't do it at that time. I know people who have missed an entire day's worth of exercise just because it wasn't done at "optimal" time... and that's not good. Especially for those just starting, and working on their "habits".. Get R Done, no matter what! :drinker:

-Jenae
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness (Daily motivation, to keep you going!)
  • LiveforChange
    LiveforChange Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You are awesome love it!
  • Life_Is_Good2_Me
    Life_Is_Good2_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm waaaaaay more likely to do cardio after a strength workout, cause I am SO not a morning person. Waking up early to workout is a hurdle I have yet to cross... it's one of my goals, but I just am a total stinker about it.

Thanks for posting :)
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    I guess I'm waaaaaay more likely to do cardio after a strength workout, cause I am SO not a morning person. Waking up early to workout is a hurdle I have yet to cross... it's one of my goals, but I just am a total stinker about it.

Thanks for posting :)

I'm not a morning person either.. My motivation is just not there yet. You really don't need to workout in the morning if you can workout at a different time. I workout between the hours 3:30-4:30 M-F ... Sometime late morning 10-12ish on Saturdays.. and 6pm-8pm on Sundays.. I just do it when I can. But if it's a goal you really want, try and start a routine of waking up a little earlier each day, not necessarily to exercise yet, but to get your body's clock used to the earlier shift in your day.. :)

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness ("Like" for Daily Motivation!)
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JenaeSmith/
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    According to Livestrong website male testosterone levels are highest in the morning - no surprise there then!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either.. My motivation is just not there yet. You really don't need to workout in the morning if you can workout at a different time. I workout between the hours 3:30-4:30 M-F ... Sometime late morning 10-12ish on Saturdays.. and 6pm-8pm on Sundays.. I just do it when I can. But if it's a goal you really want, try and start a routine of waking up a little earlier each day, not necessarily to exercise yet, but to get your body's clock used to the earlier shift in your day.. :)

GENIUS
  • JenaePavlak
    Options

GENIUS

Ha! :laugh:
  • Samanthajane1984
    Options
    I concur!