Calling all creative people! I need some party ideas!

MissingMyOldSelf
MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
I'm helping a friend plan and set up her son's birthday party here on August 25th. A is turning 6, and we're having a "rockstar" birthday party. Colors are black, white, and gray/silver. (poor friend just had knee surgery and is on crutches, so it's a little hard on her to get a lot done).

And let me clarify for you, since he took the time out to tell me, that he does NOT mean "rockstar" as in Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana, former Disney stars...... He like Five Finger Death Punch, Ozzy, Linkin Park.... NOT your typical kid, here! LOL

My friend is renting a shelter at a park, and it's a good sized shelter. I planned on making some signs for the front saying "VIP AREA" and "WELCOME TO A'S 6TH BIRTHDAY PARTY!", and having streamers along the walkway, like a pathway to the backstage area.

To the left, we're having a "Make your own VIP badge" section, where the kids will color, sticker, and mark up this badge that they'll wear. (Certain adults will be wearing black shirts. Mine will say "STAFF"... hubby's will read "SECURITY" ,... and my Friend's will read "MOMAGER."

To the right is "A's Tattoo Shop", where an adult will apply rub on tattoos for the kids.

In the back left corner is the food/buffet table, and some tables for sitting while eating.

In the back right corner, we're setting up a stage area with curtains, a mic stand, some boxes painted to look like speakers, etc..... and that's also where we plan on having the presents opened.

Can anyone else think of any creative ideas for the party, like games, or activities? We talked about having the kids do a music video, and we'll make copies for the parents, and take rockstar pics of the kids on the stage...... but we need more ideas! We want it to be around 2-3 hours, and even though it's at a park, the shelter is a good 2-3 football field walk away from any type of playground equipment.

Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Sounds like you've got it all figured out though!! 2-3 hours will go by fast with all those activities...
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Thanks Chippy! I forgot to add that we were going to do the "when the music stops" game, where the kids all dance/move until the music stops, and for the really kickin' rockstars: an air guitar contest, with the birthday boy judging :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    what aBout setting up an autograph table? you could provide colored paper, with markers, stickers, etc, stamps, all the kids could either write on each others cards, with their "autograph" or have him write on theirs since he is the rock star.

can you plug in a karoake machine? that way they do either rock band or do karaoke songs. someplaces you can rent the cds also.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Not sure if it will help but check out oriental trading online. I get lots of ideas on the site and for kid bdays I purchase supplies.
  • Earthshine
    Earthshine Posts: 18 Member
    Sunglasses for all the kids, and what about a photo booth with a cool backdrop and some fun props - big fake snakes (alla Alice Cooper), leather jackets, microphones, wigs, fun hats, feather boas for the girls, etc. A parent can be the paparazzi photographer while the kids have fun with the props and group photos.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Anna... that's a cute idea! I was thinking of getting the kids to autograph a picture frame mat, and then getting a group shot for his keepsake box.

We have electricity out there, but it's very limited. I think we have one or two plugs, and that's it. We thought about just bringing a radio and having the kids do some of their own rockstar moves, and we'll video tape it, like a music video.

Daisy.... we've checked out a TON of sites, and I think we're getting most of our stuff from Oriental Trading! That company is a LIFESAVER when it comes to party supplies!

Earthshine.... We talked about doing a photobooth in the stage area, and just taking tons of pics of all the kids. However, the props idea with the boas, sunglasses.... that'll be so adorable!!!

Someone mentioned having my hubby, aka, "security", stand at the front entrance, and ask kids if they were on the guest list, and check off their names on a clipboard, and find a velvet rope to let them in :) I thought that was stinkin cute!!! (Especially since my husband wants to try to look like a big biker man, but he's 100% teddy bear when it comes to kids!)
  • Red SOLO Cups!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    LMAO! JWilson.... you have just made not only kids happy, but the adults will be partying, too!!! :)
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Not sure if it will help but check out oriental trading online. I get lots of ideas on the site and for kid bdays I purchase supplies.

We just got our package in from Oriental Trading for our little one's party and I half of our items were damaged, and they also sent the wrong size gift bags. I called them up and the customer service rep said they have no idea how long items are in the warehouse so anything wax like candles, crayons or anything edible can get melted in the boxes. I said we bought paper goods and the rep said oh well those can get damaged during shipping thanks for calling have a nice day.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Wow Jella.... I'm so sorry to hear that! I just placed an order for his personalized banner, so I'm hoping that it turns out ok! I've purchased those christmas ornament kits from them before, and everything came in tact, and nothing was damaged.

Did you talk to a manager to sort it out?
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Photo booth (or mommy photographer complete with rocker wigs and leath vests and guitars ;)
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Sunglasses for all the kids, and what about a photo booth with a cool backdrop and some fun props - big fake snakes (alla Alice Cooper), leather jackets, microphones, wigs, fun hats, feather boas for the girls, etc. A parent can be the paparazzi photographer while the kids have fun with the props and group photos.

Haha love these ideas! Especially the paparazzi.
    Maybe have a KISS face painting area?
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    karaoke!
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    ooh... pin the whammy bar on the guitar? a pinata shaped like a drum set that you hit with a guitar?
  • I aim to please.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Red carpet!

Hang a sheet or banner and take their pics like they do at award shows.aybe after they dress up and get tatted. Let them pose funny. Great pic memories too
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Get permission from the parents of the kids invited & do the kids hair (if the parents allow it) with colors, spike it, etc.,.
    If someone could make a rockstar backdrop (stars, guitars, etc.,.) that says's A's 6th birthday at the top then the kids could pose in front of it with their new hairstyle.

If you have a place like Party America in your area, (or check the PA website) they have a lot of rockstar things that you could look at & maybe get a few more ideas.
  • How bout Bob the Clown? It would make for a good party, especially if they are scared of clowns! MUAHAHAHA
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Someone mentioned face painting..... how about temporary hair paint? Some wild crazy colors. Don't forget the hair spray to give them "big hair" or gel for some spikes! Get some "bling" for the kids to wear ... maybe some of those neon light bracelets or necklaces you see at the concerts. A dress up station for the photos should also include some platform shoes, torn t-shirts, leather look pants, tutu's for the girls (ala Madonna), etc. Check at a local thrift store and see what they have to offer. Don't forget the colored spotlights for the "stage" and photo booth.

Sounds like lots of fun will be had!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member

We just got our package in from Oriental Trading for our little one's party and I half of our items were damaged, and they also sent the wrong size gift bags. I called them up and the customer service rep said they have no idea how long items are in the warehouse so anything wax like candles, crayons or anything edible can get melted in the boxes. I said we bought paper goods and the rep said oh well those can get damaged during shipping thanks for calling have a nice day.

That's too bad! I've never had issues with them they have always given me credit or a refund if I have issues with damaged goods. Sorry you had bad luck with them.