Hey All

Options
Well....where should I begin... I'm from London, Ontario, Canada .... 41 years old.... about to hit 42....
I'm in the process of a divorce..... a very difficult divorce.... which is why I am a single father now raising my 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter on my own. I've been recently laid off from a well paying factory job that I had for 20 years..... looking to get back into another good factory or perhaps a career as a truck driver.
I like the simple things in life..... I value family over all else. I don't drink.... but I do smoke, which has been an ongoing battle to quit for the last 16 years.....
The strangest thing happened to me about a year ago, I met someone who has become very dear to my heart. During my separation that has been for the last two years, I was starting to feel kind of down and only concentrated on my kids. I stopped thinking about myself all together. I kind of had it in my mind to give up on women and just live life alone..... but..... out of no where....I met someone. She has changed my life.... I am so much happier.... but the strange thing about it.... I met her on line....lol.... I always considered those kind of relationships.....well....silly..... but I've kept an open mind and now she and I talk daily on the phone. We share all the intimacies of our hearts..... we keep setting up dates for one of us to make the trip..... but something will come up on my end or hers that has made it difficult. But, we are patient and it will happen. We are about 550 miles apart.....that's nothing for us.... it's just finding the time because, like I said, this was unexpected on both sides. We're taking it easy..... and if we want to.... we have thought about moving to one another's area. That's getting ahead of it all....for now.... we just enjoy the days as they pass.
Soooo...... I'm not single..... but lately I have been more concerned with my health..... for myself, for my children and for this woman that I could end up spending the rest of my life with.

When I was young, there was a period when I was a fat kid..... and the cruelty from other kids.....well....we know how other kids can be cruel.... I have found myself challenged with my weight again.... since being laid off from work.... I have over indulged in fast foods and no exercise.... not to mention the smoking... what drew the line.....I haven't got a pair of jeans I can't button comfortably.

I searched the net for information on nutrition, exercise......health in general..... when I discovered Third Age which linked me to this site. Between the two sites, I am hoping to learn from fact and people's experiences cause I really haven't got a clue about tending to my own health. I've always procrastinated in that area.

But, even though I know Karen doesn't really care about my appearance, she loves my heart,...... I would feel better giving her the full package deal...... It would make me feel on top of the world too.....

I'm open to all advice......so keep it coming.....best wishes to all, Ric

Replies

• RicCraig
    Options
    Well....where should I begin... I'm from London, Ontario, Canada .... 41 years old.... about to hit 42....
    I'm in the process of a divorce..... a very difficult divorce.... which is why I am a single father now raising my 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter on my own. I've been recently laid off from a well paying factory job that I had for 20 years..... looking to get back into another good factory or perhaps a career as a truck driver.
    I like the simple things in life..... I value family over all else. I don't drink.... but I do smoke, which has been an ongoing battle to quit for the last 16 years.....
    The strangest thing happened to me about a year ago, I met someone who has become very dear to my heart. During my separation that has been for the last two years, I was starting to feel kind of down and only concentrated on my kids. I stopped thinking about myself all together. I kind of had it in my mind to give up on women and just live life alone..... but..... out of no where....I met someone. She has changed my life.... I am so much happier.... but the strange thing about it.... I met her on line....lol.... I always considered those kind of relationships.....well....silly..... but I've kept an open mind and now she and I talk daily on the phone. We share all the intimacies of our hearts..... we keep setting up dates for one of us to make the trip..... but something will come up on my end or hers that has made it difficult. But, we are patient and it will happen. We are about 550 miles apart.....that's nothing for us.... it's just finding the time because, like I said, this was unexpected on both sides. We're taking it easy..... and if we want to.... we have thought about moving to one another's area. That's getting ahead of it all....for now.... we just enjoy the days as they pass.
    Soooo...... I'm not single..... but lately I have been more concerned with my health..... for myself, for my children and for this woman that I could end up spending the rest of my life with.

When I was young, there was a period when I was a fat kid..... and the cruelty from other kids.....well....we know how other kids can be cruel.... I have found myself challenged with my weight again.... since being laid off from work.... I have over indulged in fast foods and no exercise.... not to mention the smoking... what drew the line.....I haven't got a pair of jeans I can't button comfortably.

I searched the net for information on nutrition, exercise......health in general..... when I discovered Third Age which linked me to this site. Between the two sites, I am hoping to learn from fact and people's experiences cause I really haven't got a clue about tending to my own health. I've always procrastinated in that area.

But, even though I know Karen doesn't really care about my appearance, she loves my heart,...... I would feel better giving her the full package deal...... It would make me feel on top of the world too.....

I'm open to all advice......so keep it coming.....best wishes to all, Ric
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Ric,
    Welcome to MFP.

There are quite a few success stories already from MFP.
    Looking around the topics/posts and you will get motivated by the stories you read.

You have your kids & your girlfriend to help you through this.
    By the way.. I am so very happy you found love.. online or not. Love is love.

Take it step by step and you'll see results.
    You can still eat your fave foods but in moderation.

Look through the recipes so you can get ideas or go to allrecipes.com or do a search for low carb, low fat, low calorie recipes.