Question on Push Up Range of Motion for beginner

Options
for all you fitness guru's out there...

So, I started doing the P90 program. They make you do push ups...sigh.....

Anyway, I know the correct form is abs tight, don't dip your back, on the knees is ok...also know hand placement varies and will work different muscle groups depending on where you place them. My question is...I can only do like 1 or 2 all the way down to the floor and back up, then I'm DONE. After say, 3 max, I collapse. Can't push myself back up and my back starts to dip and abs are no longer tight. But, I can do more with a limited range of motion..meaning, I can't go all the way down, then come back up, but I can go a third to half way down and back up.

So is it better to stop when I can no longer do the full range of motion, or do more and not go all the way down? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    keep going do the best you can do- Your strength will build up- Trust me I couldn't even do one and i slowly built myself up to 1 then 2 then 3 ect... I think I can do 10 military style push ups I had to meet my husbands standards lol but I passed
  • samwal81
    Options
    I would keep going and just go down as far as you can. When I joined the Army I could only do 3 pushups. After 4 years I was up to 50. I can guarantee all the pushups inbetween were not pretty! Alot of them were also done on the knees. Overtime your strength will increase, just don't give up.

I am also doing P90X. Are you doing Lean or Classic? When did you start?

Samantha
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been contemplating buying P90X but, what is the difference between Lean or Classic? I am almost done with a 30 day shred challenge and keep thinking of the P90X program. Please let me know what you think....
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm doing P90...not P90X. I hope to get to P90X at some point, but I'm glad I'm starting with the P90. I can't imagine doing X at this point.....:noway:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between P90X and P90 or Lean or Classic?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    One of my goals with my trainer as to do 1 perfect push up.

She had me do a 4 count push up to build the muscles.

Go down at a count of 4

stay down for a count of 4

lift back up at a count of 4

I dont know if this helps:flowerforyou:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    P90 is a program you can do if you're not quite ready for P90X. Lean & Classic are 2 different options of workout schedules you can follow while doing P90X. Classic is more weight workout focused, Lean adds in more cardio and less resistance work. Its just a matter of what workouts you do on what days...its all the same dvds.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Oh & to answer the original question about push ups. I did a round of the X this summer. When I started, I could do a few "man" push ups, but mostly when I worked out (prior to the X) I would just go on my knees. I was determined to do no push ups on my knees while doing the X. So if that meant only cranking out 5, thats what I did. I could do 40 or 50 on my toes now if I wanted to. I say if you do 3 perfect & the next ones you only go down 2 inches...thats great. To me to push yourself until you can no longer push your body up is the best way to go. Obviously still w/decent form. You will be amazed how quickly you build strength. Only my opinion & my experience. Someone w/a fitness certification may answer differently...