Lost toenail - can I keep running?

Options
I completed my first 10-mile race 2 weeks ago. Immediately after the race, I noticed one of my toenails was lifted up and blistered underneath. I cleaned and drained the blister. Tonight, that toenail has now fallen off, leaving an empty pink crater and the remnants of the blister. It is not bleeding.

Can I still go for long walks, jogging, hiking, etc. or should I go easy on that foot until the new toenail grows in?

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you can comfortably wear shoes and socks, why not test it out? As long as you don't start limping or compensate your form, go for it.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I do not have a toenail on my #2 toe left foot (dropped metatarsal head leads to a backward bending toe leads to a toenail that just can't stay established). I run without a toenail all the time. When it's irritated, I'll just put a bandaid over it (with the gauze part over the nail bed) and then wrap the whole toe (bandaid and all) with tape. It's fine.

When the toenail is completely gone I paint the skin with toenail polish so it looks like I have a toenail :laugh:
  • Australia2013
    Options
    My husband rarely has toenails from all the running he does. It is fine to run as long as you are comfortable. You could try getting a pair of shoes that is half a size larger or has a wide toe area so that your toes have more room. I know that this has helped my husband a lot.