New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5

Options
Hey all,

My wife is looking to get back into exercise after having our daughter in June.
I've run a few times per week for fun and cardio and I do Stronglifts 5x5 for strength training.
I've heard about the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" on here, and searched the forums but didn't find a lot of specific info.

I was curious if it would be worthwhile to get her the book, or if she should just do the Stronglifts 5x5 program with me, or just stick to the Art of Strength DVD kettlebell routines that she enjoys.

For you ladies that have used the NROLFW, did you have good results? Any problems sticking to the workouts? Is the program easy to follow, or complicated? How long do the workouts usually take?

What equipment is needed for the workouts presented in the book? We have a decent home gym which includes an olympic bar and plates, a power rack, a bench, a set of dumbbells up to 35 lbs, kettlebells (8, 12, 16, and 24kg), an assisted dip/pullup machine, grip trainers, stability balls, a couple steps, an elliptical machine, and a Concept 2 rower. As you can see, we have a good range of equipment, but I think she needs a good program to provide direction for progress rather than just doing random willy-nilly workouts.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've done both and they both have their merits.

NROL4W is good for building strength but the later stages can get a bit cutesy with the moves BUT there's a few moves they throw in there that are very close to olympic lifts and those are always fun. the program is broken up into 7 stages (stages 2&3 repeats as 4&5) so there is some variation, but the majority of moves are compound movements.

strong lifts is also good for developing strength. there are 3 compound moves you do each workout which can be good (easier to remember) or bad (can get boring) depending on your preferences.

for both you'll need a power rack, plates, a bench and a barbell. for NROL4W you would also need some sort of stable stool for step ups ( i personally hate doing step up on benches because the padding can throw you off when you've got a heavy barbell on your back), an aerobic step, some barbells, a cable/pulley machine would also be helpful to do stuff like lat pull downs and seated rows, but those can also be simulated in pendlay rows and assisted pullups.

your wife can always start with NROL4Wand in 6 months when the program is finished move on to strong lifts
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Anyone else have any input?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like strong lifts better...I started with new rules..but I found it was too slow for me..and I was already lifting heavy weights prior to read new rules..I found New Rules a bit complicated..thats why I like Strong lifts better.. I usually add some things to strong lifts if I feel like it...but I have already noticed results with Strong lifts..and its a very short time frame.. New rules..took longer..

And if you are already doing strong lifts..I think it would be great for you to lift together :) Women can train just the same as a male can..just lower weights :) At first...hehe

New rules required machines... Strong lifts at least in the stage I am in...is barbell and power rack..basically...I like it more simple...it all comes down to if she will get bored with the same thing...just more higher weights each time.

There is no difference schedule for women on strong lifts either..since its more targeted to men..which most weight training programs are..

You may wanna check your local library for the new rules book..that way you wont have to buy it..and can see if its what she wants before you waste the money on the book :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think NROLFW is a great read and I have kind of mishmashed the routine with SL 5x5 - if that helps.

shd add that i prefer 5x5 as New Rules is a bit footery as the above poster says.