Better Condition, Less Calories, Looking for Silver Lining

Options
Hi smart people of the forums. I have done a search and see that the question I have been asking myself at the gym the last several days has been addressed several times.

I swear I am working at least as hard as I did when I started working out but I can't burn the same number of calories as I did originally according to my heart rate monitor.

So I am seeing that is apparently pretty common knowledge that as you get in better shape, your body burns less calories doing the same exercise. Less weight to move, muscle memory etc.

What i didn't see addressed though is this. With my improved conditioning am I burning more calories when at rest then I did previously? I hope I am using the right term but essentially I am asking if my BMR is increasing through additional burn throughout the day or am I really just burning less calories overall now? Thanks

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As your body weight goes down so does your BMR. If you put on a significant amount of lean body mass, it increases your metabolism, but it is just a tiny bit..