Help! Only ~20 grams of protein a day.

Options
So I have been trying to eat more and get more nutrition. Lately I have noticed something in my reports (thanks to this website) which alarms me even more than the fact that I find it difficult to eat >1000 calories a day - I am only recieving around 20 grams of protein a day! I do not like meat, I do not like dairy. They make me sick usually and I refuse to puke as it freaks me out. Thus I avoid these foods (which are high in protein) as much as possible. Please help me find some foods to increase my protein and maybe fiber intakes!

Also I would like some friends to support me in my goal to eat healthy because I feel very isolated at the moment. Please add me!

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're looking for vegetarian sources? Beans, lentils, legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan, meat substitutes, nuts, all are protein rich. You can also eat fish and other seafood, and eggs.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I feel this way too. I buy high protein shakes at Costco which are low carb (3 net carbs) per container & 30 grams of protein. I also like fat free refried beans with low carbs tortilla's & fat free cheese (a burrito) yumm! Also you can buy Isopure protein isolate in vanilla which has tons of protein (50 grams) & very little carbs & add it to smoothies, or just mix with water.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    apart from meat n dairy I get most of my protein from quinoa(a grain type food), nuts, and beans, peanut butter's good too.
    also protein powder(can be mixed with water) but watch the grams, if it's more than ~35grams per serving I would cut the serving size!(just my non professional opinion, based on potentially incorrect data about the efficiency of absorption per meal)
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not keen on dairy either - which his a shame as I know a lot of people on here swear by fat free or low fat greek yoghurt. I have been eating way more meat since I've been on here - just to try to up my protein intake.

I bought some whey protein shake powder. I have to tell you, being someone who absolutely hates milk, I nearly puked the first time I drank it! It has become easier to drink now, because I know what taste to expect now so it's not such a shock, but still I really have to be in the mood to drink it.

The vegetarian suggestions from spanaval sound good, or do you eat fish? Tuna is a good go-to if you want something cheap, instant and low fat/high protein. I have been having things like a tin of tuna with plate of salad and 1/2 tbs french dressing, 1/2 wholemeal pitta, it is filling me up for hours. If you add beans it's a pretty high fibre meal too. Or maybe shrimp, crab meat, hard boiled eggs - do you like eggs?
    I'm british so we have different brands and so on but my diary is always open if you're looking for ideas. I'll send a friend request over to you - no need to feel isolated on here!

I make a lot of my own food, and I love soups like lentil and bean soups, bean burgers etc. all home made so if you want any recipes just mesage me and I'll send some over! Not able to share recipes with friends on this site yet, but maybe in the future.

Good luck - it wil get easier with time, it's all about getting into habits. XX
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    drink a protein powder, eat quinoa instead of rice, beans, tempeh, nuts... as much as i am anti-soy you can do tofu
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nectar by Syntrax is a protein drink that is sooo good..and you can mix with water OR milk. It comes in around 10 flavors ( I love the Fuzzy Navel/peach) and is 23 g protein with 100 calories per scoop.

They even have a 13 flavor sampler you can buy to try them all without committing to a big jug. They're honestly great:

http://www.dietdirect.com/syntrax-nectar-grabngo-protein.html#.UBtzuKPNmhc
  • ct2407
    ct2407 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is it just dairy you don't like? Cause then I would suggest soy milk (great source of calcium too). I also do not eat a lot of meat, but prefer salmon, quinoa, lentils, black beans and greek yoghurt. My latest thing is gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast with a scoop of chocolate whey protein mixed in. It tastes like a huge indulgence, but is very low in calories and fat and packs a mighty 25g of protein.
  • everyroadleadswhere
    Options
    Wow I think I will eat more lentils, beans, nuts, and quinoa. And that protein fruit juice stuff sounds great! I will look into that. Thanks for all the help!