Critique my diary?

Options
I'm just curious what peoples opinions are of my food choices. Ive been logging everyday for a few months now. I've been losing pretty good *knock on wood* so far, i had a two week plateau but stayed with it and now i'm losing between 1-3 lbs a week.

A little history: normal weight as a child, chubby at 12, discovered dieting, 120 through my teens, gained weight at 22, i was 200 lbs, got it off a couple yrs later, was 130 or so for a long time. In 2000 started gaining :/. My highest, this past april, was 262. Ugh. Been eating better since may. I walk an hour a day, very briskly, 5-6 days a week, and i sometimes do sit ups, glute raises, side bends, arm stuff with 2 lb dumbells, but not as often as i should-i really need to make that a daily thing. Ive lost 23 lbs, i'm currently at 239, and i'd like to be under 200 by xmas.

Food: i dont log water because i drink it all day- i drink a LOT of water, but i do have one lemonade iced tea with dinner. For me its worth the calories. I'm not watching salt. I've loved salt my whole life, and ive always (and still do) had low blood pressure. Not only do i not watch my salt, i put Janes Crazy Salt on lots of stuff, specially veggies-gives them flavor without adding butter.

I do eat Lean Cuisines/Smart Ones 3-4 times a week, but i'm trying o cook dinner from scratch more often. I love salmon and one of my fave things to cook is a big salmon filet and a bunch of veggies. Ultimately id like to do the boxed diet dinners only once or twice a week.

Sunday is my reward meal day. I dont go crazy, but i do eat what i want. I log it, tho.

All that said, ive opened my diary, so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Constructive criticism especially is welcomed-if you dont think a food choice of mine is good, tell me what you'd eat instead!

Oh, and I'm 5'2" :)

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Grats on your success so far!

I took a quick look, just cause I'm nosy like that, lol. I don't like to judge, but I love to see what works for others :)

The only thing that "I" would do differently, is that for me, protein is so important. I know those skinny cow bars are yummy, but you eat a lot of them. I'd probably swap in a greek yogurt for the same amount of calories, but a ton more protein. The Oikos Key lime is like eating a dessert, seriously, and I've just discovered Noosa..omg..soooooo gooood :)

Good luck
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah, those Skinny Cow bars..... * looks sheepish*. I actually just discovered them a couple weeks ago- before that i was having low cal coconut milk ice cream or similar for dessert, and the stuff id have would always make me feel satisfied. The Skinny Cow candy bars tho....i have one and it just makes me want another one :/. Their ice cream bars dont do that to me, but something about the thin little candy bars... Anyway, i bought two boxes of them, but im thinking when theyre gone i probly shouldnt get them again :( a snack should fullfill you, not make you need more.

Interesting what you said about eating more protein. To be honest i dont really pay attention to my macros too much.

Ill have a look for the Oikos key lime, that sounds yummy :)
  • sparklelioness
    Options
    Anyone else? :)
  • roxerella
    roxerella Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    well done. You're doing great!

Re your food choices I'd say your protein is definitely too low and you could do with some more fresh vegetables in there :-)
  • sparklelioness
    Options
    Bump
  • everhard
    everhard Posts: 16
    Options
    Could you let us see the fiber and sodium on your diary? And i've notice that most of the time, you don't have enought fat and protein. You don't have lunch and you have big breakfast. Are you hungry between your breakfast and your dinner? 'cause i've seen that sometimes you don't have any snack... It's great you drink a lot of water.
    For fat and protein, a good plain greek yoghurt is fine :) and some nuts too for the fat.
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Hi there,

I've not lost as much weight as you have, but I though I'd offer my opinion. I think that salads with some protein would be a great addition to getting you veggies and protein. Mixed greens with some grilled chicken would be flavorful and good for you. That would also give you another option besides boxed dinners. (I know how old those get after awhile.) Another of my favorite meals is a dry tuna salad with lots of veggies. Again you get a lot of good stuff and some protein mixed in there as well.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Good luck!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far. You're doing great on keeping calories in check, but the quality of the calories is what's lacking. I would definitely suggest cutting down on packaged stuff and adding way more fresh produce. I also second the suggestion to try Oikos key lime Greek yogurt as a treat. It's delish and has a good amount of protein. You can check out my diary for ideas if you want.
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss so far. On your food, I think you are eating way to much processed food. Some is fine, but it should be the exception to the rule. If you eat "real" food you will feel better and have more energy. Feel free to take a look at my diary for examples. I am in no way perfect, but I try to have as many "real" foods a days as possible.