What don't you log?

This morning I received a delivery, 4 large boxes with several other boxes inside. The contents were fairly heavy and were taken upstairs as I unpacked so lots of running up and down the stairs. All the packaging was sorted for recycling and consolidated. Not sure how long all this took me but it was at least 30 minutes and by the end I had worked up a sweat and got my heart rate up so I could log this in my exercise for today but I won't. Same when I walk/ride my bike to the shop. I guess I only log things when I intentionally go "to do exercise".

So I was wondering what people do and don't log.

Replies

• p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    I log walking, as I walk everywhere, don't have a car.
    I know some people log cleaning etc, but personally I wouldn't class that as exercise as such.
  • This morning I received a delivery, 4 large boxes with several other boxes inside. The contents were fairly heavy and were taken upstairs as I unpacked so lots of running up and down the stairs. All the packaging was sorted for recycling and consolidated. Not sure how long all this took me but it was at least 30 minutes and by the end I had worked up a sweat and got my heart rate up so I could log this in my exercise for today but I won't. Same when I walk/ride my bike to the shop. I guess I only log things when I intentionally go "to do exercise".

Have you thought about a HRM or a FitBit?
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Right now I am not logging food because I am fasting for Ramadan so I don't want to be bothered with loggin during the few times of day I do eat.

Normally I do not log things like you mentioned, dancing (at a wedding or concert), cleaning, or other things I don't do to "work out" just because I feel like it balances out ALL the time that I spend just sitting at the computer or sitting in the car :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    I only log workouts longer then 15 minutes. No housework or cleaning. I feel you run the risk to overestimate your burn and underestimate what you eat and it brings a false sense of loss. Logging every single thing is trying to hard and in some cases just plain lazy trying to get away from a longer workout.
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    This morning I received a delivery, 4 large boxes with several other boxes inside. The contents were fairly heavy and were taken upstairs as I unpacked so lots of running up and down the stairs. All the packaging was sorted for recycling and consolidated. Not sure how long all this took me but it was at least 30 minutes and by the end I had worked up a sweat and got my heart rate up so I could log this in my exercise for today but I won't. Same when I walk/ride my bike to the shop. I guess I only log things when I intentionally go "to do exercise".

Have you thought about a HRM or a FitBit?

I have one...I'm just saying that I choose not to log that activity as I think that's part of my day but I know lots of people would. I log every run, long walk/bike ride etc
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    I do log my cleaning, but only because it's a way to motivate myself to do the housework. XD What I do, to avoid over-estimating the calories count, is to enter the lightest possible kind of housework exercise and half the calories count that MFP gives me.
    Otherwise, I only log activities that I do with the purpose of exercising, so, lately, running and Your Shape lately.
    In terms of food, I don't log coffee or tea: I never put any sugar, milk or lemon in them, so they don't have calories, but it's not pure water either, so they can't go in the glasses of water.
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    I've set the daily activity level to 'sedentary' (because 5 days of the week, my school day consists of sitting around writing stuff) so to get the calories right, I log any intentional exercise of 5 minutes or longer. Everyday stuff like cleaning, walking to the supermarket, or going up and down the stairs at home doesn't count. For some activities, if I know my heart rate wasn't very high, I will knock the MFP calories down by 1/3 - like, walking up a hill with a slow friend.

Admittedly it's a bit hit-and-miss but I'm losing weight anyway, so... yay! Later on (like, -10kg from now), I intend to revisit the daily activity level. I hope to be a generally more active person by then.
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    I had this debate, I logged my cleaning and felt like id cheated myself (i didnt eat the calories), but think its not great. I am no longer going to be doing that.
    I do think that sometimes people log cleaning to feel better if they over-eat.
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    I mostly don't log my way from the subway to work, my morning 15-20 minutes workout, my walk during the lunchtime, cleaning (according to p0kers0ph).
    But sometimes I need to know exactly, how much calories I have "in stock", then I track all activities.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    I only log calories burned when I'm purposefully exercising. I have my activity level set to sedentary because I sit at a desk all day at work. So what I don't count is - taking the stairs at work (4 flights), playing with my daughters, cleaning, going to the park, mowing the grass, any of the 50 times I go up and down the stairs at home.

On the flip side, if I know I'm within my calories and I have a little room to spare, I might eat a piece of dark or semi-sweet chocolate at the end of the day after I've finished logging.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I don't log anything except workouts. I used to log everything but I didnt want it to give me a false sense of security lol
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    As far as exercise goes? I only log things I do intentionally as exercise/workouts. Anything that falls within normal living is not exercise.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    What don't I log? Exercise
  • lostwisdom
    lostwisdom Posts: 73 Member
    I log everything longer than ten minutes which gets me into a sweat, as it's something outside my comfort zone! So as I'm quite unfit and overweight this does include cleaning, walking to the shops etc, but as I become healthier and it's not a big effort, I won't. I make sure to get in lots of "intentional exercise" too though ;)
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 236 Member
    I don't log what's part of my normal day to day activity, otherwise I log it.
  • I don't log my walking to/from/at work and anything small like housework, going shopping or little things like that.. I just think they are already covered in my sedentary lifestyle, so I won't add those again... I do log 'proper' exercise, as in going on a bikeride, jogging, 30DS etc.. (and I try and eat those cals back!)

on the other hand I do not log Tic tacs, mints, most herbs/spices like dried herbs, garlic paste, tomato purree or a stock cube, or 'no added sugar squash' as I believe that those are just so infinitisimal that I honestly can't be bothered to log those. And i believe that these will easily be evened (sp?) out by things from the paragraph above..

I might rethink all this once I hit plateau, but for the moment this works for me :-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I don't log any exercise.

I don't log the huge globs of heavy cream in my coffee in the morning,

I don't log my disgustingly regular consumption of red wine in industrial quantities.

And still it all works out OK, amazing :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    As far as exercise goes? I only log things I do intentionally as exercise/workouts. Anything that falls within normal living is not exercise.
    ^ This.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    I don't log weekends, cos I eat and drink pretty much what I want, and I eat 1000 ish cals per day during the week to make up for the weekends
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    anything i do for more than 15 mins.
    i washed the walls the other day, but it was only 10 minutes.

my fitbit tracks my steps regardless.