Sparkling Green Tea (made at home!)

Options
KharismaticKayteh
KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
So this was entirely experimental, but as you could guess from the subject line, I made sparkling green tea at home. I used club soda, but I think I should have used seltzer instead, as the club soda had a bit of a salty taste that made the tea less yummy than it could have been.

So take a 1-liter bottle of carbonated water (you know, seltzer) and find some bags of green tea. I used Lipton's raspberry green tea. Lipton makes tons of different green tea flavors, and there's of course even more flavors in other brands, so there's a lot to choose from to suit your taste.

Now the bottle of seltzer is four servings, so you should use four tea bags, but I used five to make extra sure the flavor was strong enough to really taste. Set the bags in a coffee mug and boil some water, (and you don't need a lot of it). Pour enough water over the tea bags to brew them, but little enough that you won't dilute the carbonation when you pour it into the seltzer. To make sure it brews strong, you may have to lift them and dip them in the hot water repeatedly. If you want your tea to be sweet, add sugar while the brewing tea is hot (add however much you would add to four cups of tea) and stir.

Either pour some or drink some seltzer to make more room in the bottle for concentrated tea, and then pour the tea in *carefully* (not sure whether it's because my tea was still hot or that I poured it too quickly, but man, my club soda fizzed *everywhere*). Obviously, you don't want to shake it to distribute the tea, as that will make it flat, so just gently flip the bottle and roll it from side to side until the color is even throughout the bottle. Chill it or pour it over ice, and you're good to go!

My box of green tea, (which will make five bottles of carbonated tea), and five 33-ounce bottles of seltzer would cost me only eight dollars. So the amount I could get out of it is equal to just over eight 20-ounce bottles of processed sparkling tea, which would cost about twelve dollars. It does only save a few bucks, *but* it's also a healthier alternative, what without the corn syrup and preservatives.

Replies

• empty_with_you
    Options
    sounds good! i'll deffinately have to give it a try:)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've never had sparkling tea but that sounds good! Love green tea. I'll definitely try it.