trying to gain weight

dyf11710
dyf11710 Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
So as the subject says, I'm trying to gain weight, but healthy weight. I'm a 22 year old male, 5'7'' and 121 pounds. At the start of the year I weight approximately 180, so I've lose quite a bit of weight, too much I'm beginning to think.

So what are some things that I should be eating to do this? I know theres the obvious of peanut butter, nuts, fruits, olives, proteins, carbs, vegs, beans, etc. What else is there? Will eating unhealthy foods hinder this process such as chips or cookies and ice cream?

I know this is probably a very dumb question, but let me know what you guys think?

Thanks

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I think eating unhealthy things will make you gain weight, but not the right kind of weight. You want to gain muscle, I'm assuming? Eat healthy, and do strength training. Drink protein shakes. Make sure you're getting enough calories in to gain.
  • My mother has been struggling to gain weight for a long time... it is hard. Anyway I would recomend that you add a lot of meat and grains to your diet also eat a lot of bananas and do strength training.
  • Thats what I figured, loading up on some protein and fruits. WIth having to eat more snacks, it would be easier to buy some snacks as well instead of having to prepare some of them though.

Would it be ok to buy like butter crackers whole grain waffles or other kinds of snack foods like that? or should I stay away and try to keep everything 100% clean?
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    My mom has struggled with this for years Drs. always tell her to drink meal replacements or calorie dense shakes as snacks (Ensure, those type products), eat nuts, and watch caffeine intake. They never advise her to eat straight junk or restrict anything or food group.
This discussion has been closed.