Calories burned at work

Options
I recently went back to work as a cashier for a warehouse store (think Costco, Sam's Club type store) and usually work a 6 hour shift, 4 or 5 days a week. Some shifts are longer, some shifts are shorter, but on an average they are 6 hours. We are at the register for 5.5 hours of the shift and do lots of lifting (32 packs of water, 30 cans of soda etc). Now, not every customer has huge water and soda cases, but there's large boxes of trash bags, double and tripe packs of cereal etc.

Is there any way to figure how many calories I would burn in a shift?

Replies

• pinkpearlz
    Options
    That's an interesting question. I believe the only truly accurate way to figure it out specifically is if you buy a monitor that you wear around your arm or the watch type. Otherwise, you can guesstimate how much time you think you spend in 6 hours lifting heavy objects, perhaps 1/2 the time I would guess if it is bulk buying store. Also you stand for long periods. That in itself burns alot of calories. Use that as your base and add to it. I am going to guess that you burn quite alot, probably more than you think.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level higher on your settings. Your body will get used to this if you work more days of the week than not.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You could try a HRM or fitbit but your body doesn't take long to adjust to regular routine. It only took a week of running the same routine to get my calorie burn down from 500 and some to 300 and some. I'd just up your activity level scale thingy on here :smile: