Wisdom teeth removal(stories)

Options

Replies

• _dreaface
    _dreaface Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys! lol I don't know what to expect now. Mine in the lower jaw on the back right side.
    Speaking of Invisalign, anyone else tried it and have success. Most of my teeth are straight but the bottom 4 are crooked.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once when I was 19. I was lucky and didn't experience dry socket afterwards so there was no pain at all. The weirdest thing is waking up in a different room. You wonder, "Where the hell am I? How did I get here? Who carried me?" I didn't know this would take place so it really weirded me out.

They will NOT let you drive yourself so make sure you have a trusted and responsible person go with you. Perferably someone who knows how to get home! I had to travel to a town 60 miles away for the procedure and my sister drove. She has the worst sense of direction of anyone on the planet! The trip home should have taken about an hour, it actually took 2 hours. I tried telling her which way to go because I was familiar with the town (attended college there) but she wouldn't listen to me. She kept saying "the doctor told me I'm NOT supposed to listen to anything that comes out of your mouth because of the drugs." Hilarious.
  • _dreaface
    Options
    I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once when I was 19. I was lucky and didn't experience dry socket afterwards so there was no pain at all. The weirdest thing is waking up in a different room. You wonder, "Where the hell am I? How did I get here? Who carried me?" I didn't know this would take place so it really weirded me out.

They will NOT let you drive yourself so make sure you have a trusted and responsible person go with you. Perferably someone who knows how to get home! I had to travel to a town 60 miles away for the procedure and my sister drove. She has the worst sense of direction of anyone on the planet! The trip home should have taken about an hour, it actually took 2 hours. I tried telling her which way to go because I was familiar with the town (attended college there) but she wouldn't listen to me. She kept saying "the doctor told me I'm NOT supposed to listen to anything that comes out of your mouth because of the drugs." Hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHA :laugh:
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys! lol I don't know what to expect now. Mine in the lower jaw on the back right side.
    Speaking of Invisalign, anyone else tried it and have success. Most of my teeth are straight but the bottom 4 are crooked.

Here is a thread where the OP takes photos every time he gets new trays. You can see his progress.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143942481

I can allready see a difference in my teeth and I am only on tray 8 of 20
  • ThustonHowell
    Options

Invisalign is perfect for correcting a few teeth. Used to offer it in an office I worked in, wife had it, dentist's wife had it and several patients. Everyone was extremely satisfied. One patient decided she was too good looking for her husband after she had invisalign and lost a few lbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had all four out at the same time, all impacted... sideways, actually.

It did hurt, but I had complications... my pain meds made me throw up, and I developed dry socket, which was horrible, but once they put the clove pack in, felt fine. But it really wasn't that bad. No swelling or bruising, except where I had the IV in my arm.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, mine was awesome....Had all 4 removed at the same time In Marine Corps boot camp San Diego...Virgin Dentist.. I was her first extraction. well. .the first two went okay...the 3rd broke off at the gumline. they had to cut the gums and extract the rest....
    Next morning it was off to the dentist to make sure everything was okay, then it was off to hand to hand combat training....

The instructor asked us who has had dental work done in the last 48 hours and i eagerly raised my hand only to be asked if the teeth were still in my mouth...no sir was my answer and i was instructed to remain in training. Ahhh the pain was wonderful :)

My drugs sucked.. i was in boot camp so i got ibuprofin for a botched 4 tooth extraction. I did run in to that dentist later on in boot camp when i was on mess duty and mentioned this to her and we had a good laugh even though i wanted to yank a few of her teeth out.

oh and only local anesthesia aka Novocaine, frickin navy doctors

When I was a recruit at PI,I went to the dentist to get my molar checked and ended up leaving with no molar & my wisdom teeth yanked,i kept telling the dentist i didnt need them removed but hes like i never forget a recruits face (um...we alI look alike dum dum)and i too had crappy drugs and i bled everywhere but i got a days bedrest! whoohoo...
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I had my bottom two out and they were both impacted (not out yet, like you described) also. The procedure wasn't bad, except the drugs they gave me made me really loopy and I swear they were playing yellow submarine out in the lobby. Then I was so numb for the first few hours afterward that I couldn't feel anything - tried to drink some water & couldn't tell I hadn'd swallowed it all and ended up with it running down my shirt. Yeah... fun. The first couple of days afterward were rough & I was pretty sore, but the meds took care of that pretty well. Everyone thought I was a hoot once they kicked in. Apparently I got pretty lively. Funny - I don't remember it much. After the first couple of days all was good. Just be careful what you do when you're on the meds!
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had all four removed at the same time back in 2005. They weren't impacted, but they were packed very tightly in the back of my mouth (which is why my dentist referred me to an oral surgeon to have them yanked - she couldn't reach the drill back there to fill a cavity in one). As I had to drive myself home (20 miles) and I had never had general anesthesia before and was a little nervous at the prospect, I opted for local anesthesia only.

I dare say that the most painful part of the procedure was the local anesthesia. OMG. I was working as a dental assistant at the time and was fairly desensitized to all of the dental procedures, but I was kicking the chair with my heels and had tears involuntarily streaming down my face while they were putting the shots in the roof of my mouth. But after that, I didn't feel a thing besides pressure. I did wind up with a dry socket, which is pretty painful, but was able to get back into the office the next morning and have it treated. Just be sure you don't use any straws; that can make you more prone to dry sockets. I didn't use straws but sometimes the little clove oil plugs they put in there can fall out prematurely anyway.

Not only did I drive myself home but I also saved a TON of money - I had to put a $200 deposit down since I didn't have dental insurance, and I actually ended up getting refunded about $50 of that. But I was stupid and went into work that night (I worked overnights) and had a bawling breakdown because one of my coworkers started to give me crap about looking like I was tired.

So, in a nutshell, from my experience: If you've got the money/insurance coverage/a ride home, go for sedation. Then take the next day off of work and get some sleep.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Had mine done a few weeks ago. My left side abscessed and fractured my jaw. I had my uppers that were fully grown out and my lowers were 1/2 impacted and couldnt come out any further. the abscess caused an infection on my left side, it was behind my eyebacll causing pressure and oozing puss sometimes like everytime i sneezed. (yes very gross). then the infected swelled up part of my throat and got into my lungs and caused pneumonia/bronchitis. they told me i had 1-2 to get them removed or i would be hospitalized because it would close my whole throat off.

So July 3rd (1 1/2 wks later) I had the bottoms cut out (and had part of my jaw bind grinded to help the fracture heal) and my uppers pulled. I was awake and was just given laughing gas and local anesthetic. my lower left didnt take so they had to numb it a few more times halfway through the procedure.

The healing process.. First day i felt great! (while it was numb) Once that wore off, it was pretty painful. ONLY my right side swelled up because I got a bad drysocket the next day. Suffered from an infection from that for about a week.

But after that first week was great. I lost 5lbs, and my face is thinner now than it has been since before my wisdom teeth started growing in! (because swelling went down). Flushing out the holes left behind is yuck, but it is still healing back together.

sugar free jello and light cool whip was my best friend that first week. chicken noodle soup (but the chicken gets stuck in the holes) and icecream and pudding was great.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I had all four at the same time. All went well and the recovery wasn't too bad. The only bad thing, and this was a freak accident, was that while getting the shots in my gums, the dentist severed a nerve and I lost feeling in the entire right side of my mouth. It made me start talking with a lisp and I would bite my tongue all the time. I still don't have all the feeling back and that was 17 years ago.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I had all four taken out at the same time.. They were all through the gums and only one was impacted.. All I felt was a huge amount of pressure and heard the super gross cracking sound which bothered me the most.. I hadn't eaten yet that day so we grabbed some McDonald's afterwards, I just got some fries and ate then super carefully. Everything I ate for a while I had to just rip bites off and eat them.

I got a dry socket in the one tooth that was impacted, well the spot anyways. That was the most horrible pain that lasted for 2 weeks. It kept me awake at night and made it very difficult to eat. It happened about 5 days after I got them pulled.. A dry socket is when the clot falls out or dissolves early leaving all the nerves and bone to be exposed to the air and food/germs. Not fun at all, this is the reason they tell you to stay away from straws or smoking. Listen to them! :)

Good luck!

I had dry socket when I had both my bottom wisdom teeth out at the same time. It was horrible and I never want to go through that again! Luckily my top ones seem to be ok and hopefully won't have to come out *touches wood*.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options

I got a dry socket in the one tooth that was impacted, well the spot anyways. That was the most horrible pain that lasted for 2 weeks. It kept me awake at night and made it very difficult to eat. It happened about 5 days after I got them pulled.. A dry socket is when the clot falls out or dissolves early leaving all the nerves and bone to be exposed to the air and food/germs. Not fun at all, this is the reason they tell you to stay away from straws or smoking. Listen to them! :)

I ended up with 3 dry sockets... IT WAS THE WORST PAIN I EVER HAD.. AND I HAVE TWO KIDS... WOULD RATHER Deliver ANOTHER KID.. THEN GO THROUGH WITH IT... I also think it has a lot to do with I HATE mouth pain!!!!
  • _dreaface
    Options
    WAIT WAIT!!
  • _dreaface
    Options
    can someone tell me what exactly dry socket is? LOL im scared now thanks alot guys!
  • ThustonHowell
    Options
    can someone tell me what exactly dry socket is? LOL im scared now thanks alot guys!

After the extraction the space where the tooth was starts to clot. If you use a straw, smoke or do anything else that could require sucking you can dislodge the clot. Once the clot is gone it's called a dry socket and that is extremely painful.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It hurts a lot. The first 12 hours afterward are the worst. After that it gets better. It really hurts to eat or drink anything because it stings really bad. Also it sucks if you have a bad reaction to anesthesia like me. I got really sick.

The best way to reduce pain and prevent getting a dry socket is keeping your gauze or cottonballs in AT ALL TIMES! I only took mine out to eat and clean my teeth. (Heck sometimes I even ate with them in because it hurt so much to take them out.) Otherwise, keep those suckas in!
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed August of last year, and all 4 were impacted. I was completely knocked out and don't really remember much for the first 2-3 days because all I did was sleep. My husband told me that when he was putting me in the car after the teeth were pulled, I almost slid out some how. The only thing that sucked the most, was that the second week after my teeth were pulled, I could only open my mouth 1/2 way. It's fine now, but I was not expecting that.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

It is what happens when you doing follow their instructions and is much much more painfull than getting your wisdom teeth pulled. I didn't get it but I have heard horror storys from people who did.
  • Kscardino26
    Kscardino26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is not that bad, I had mine pulled out and I was awake. I had to be numbed extra due to the fact I could still feel the removal of one wisdom tooth. But to me that wasn't the worst part. After words I swallowed too much blood and got sick. (This was due to the fact I didn’t want the cotton in my mouth, I know recommend that) My mom got me a milkshake. DO not drink from a straw either. Dry socket is very painful! (I worked in a dental office and it is nasty, just listen to your dentist). Big thing is don't over think it. Every person is different and will have different experiences don't let it discourage or stress you out. It will be over soon. Best advice, listen to your Dentist.