Combatting Problem Areas

Options
The point of this topic is to identify where we hold our weight and what areas are hardest to lose. Everyone is different - my mom's entire family is "top heavy" in every sense of the word with skinny legs and no butt. Meanwhile, I'm the complete opposite. I have always been thin up top with a small waste, but bottom heavy; pear-shaped if you will!! It seems no matter what I do, my upper body continues to lean out but my thighs and glutes remain the same. It's really frustrating!!

I've been told there's no such thing as spot training. When trying to burn fat, it's an all-over process. Is that true??

THE CHALLENGE: list your "problem" area(s), discuss and try and offer some help to the post above.

Cheers!
Theresa

Replies

• ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm pear-shaped as well, although after having two babies, I've added my stomach to my list of problem areas. I've also noticed that as I get older (I'm 30 so not that old), my face and hands are thinning. I look back at pictures from high school and college, and I weighed less but had rounder cheeks and softer hands.

I firmly believe that you can't spot reduce. You can, however, work on toning the muscles under the fat so that when you lose the flab, the muscles are there waiting to be seen.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Muscles scare me a little haha. I've been doing a lot of leg and glute exercises and I'm begining to look a little "bulky". I don't want that either!! I just want to tone!!

Why aren't there more people discussing this?? :noway: I'd think it was a hot button issue. It is with me, at least!
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    My problem area is mostly just my lower belly pooch. No matter how many leg lifts or reverse crunches I do the only thing that has ever helped is when I lost weight all around. Now I'm glad I have done all of the ab exercises, because this time when the weight comes off I'll have some nice definition too.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple shape, so most of my unwanted weight is in my waist and abdomen. Now that I'm working out I seem to be slimming from the edges inward. My face, neck, arms and legs and shoulders look thinner, but my tummy is hanging in there. I'm losing there too, but not at the rate I'm losing elsewhere.

Oh well, I'll get there eventually.
  • kirsty_mc
    kirsty_mc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the thigh/butt issue. My waist is slim, my butt/thighs not so much.

I'm also only 5ft3ins so I look sooo out of proportion. However when I got measured last week I'd lost 1cm from my thigh... 1 cm! Its coming down.... slowly
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    Any ladies ever feel like that if they were bigger chested, per se, they'd me MUCH more proportionate??? Gahh...I feel like that a lot!! It would take the focus off my "child bearing hips"!!!
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    I'm an apple shape, so most of my unwanted weight is in my waist and abdomen. Now that I'm working out I seem to be slimming from the edges inward. My face, neck, arms and legs and shoulders look thinner, but my tummy is hanging in there. I'm losing there too, but not at the rate I'm losing elsewhere.

• MurphysLawTD
    Options

That's what I'm getting with my thighs and butt :sad: It's very frustrating!!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @Sweetthimgs
    I am the same, APPLE, no butt, but that Muffin Top !!! I think it will be the last to go, and maybe not ever as I am over 50. Seems worse that usual at this age, but hoping if I hit my goal of another 40 that it will be smaller than my hips. I lieterally have no waist and fitting into cloths difficult because my waist is one size bitter than my butt! But like you say... eventually!!

10269526.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options

thats my issue as well its coming off everywere but were i want it to!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce... "problem areas" is a misnomer... it's not problematic to lose from those places, it's just the last place it happens. You don't have to do anything different, you just have to be patient.

Eat better to lose weight
    Lift heavy to change the way you look

As for the toning crowd...
    Toning happens when you lose enough body fat such that the muscle under that fat becomes visible. To lose fat, you have to lose weight while retaining muscle. To lose weight, you have to eat right. To retain muscle, you have to eat right and lift heavy.

So the formula for toning: eat right + eat right + lift
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    always said g-d made me backwards .. no *kitten* but a huge FUPA ..
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    Any ladies ever feel like that if they were bigger chested, per se, they'd me MUCH more proportionate??? Gahh...I feel like that a lot!! It would take the focus off my "child bearing hips"!!!

We must be twins! lol! I have the exact same issue and think yes, a big bust would certianly detract from my bubble bum and full thighs... would certainly go with the rest of the package!

We just have to keep working at it. Burning off the excess in those areas is a slow process for most with these trouble areas. Slow, steady... and eventually surely. Cardio needs to play a big part. I feel your pain, girl and I am rooting for you!