Deleting unmotivating MFP friends

Options

Replies

• nascarted10
    nascarted10 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I deleted my husband after 2 weeks of inactivity!

Not sure how this quote was really meant but I read it and thought it to be very funny. Guess I am weird or something. However, wouldn't it be cool in real life if we could really do that!
  • stuartadair1
    stuartadair1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Day 3 without logging on I send and email. Day 4 with no response and I delete. Not wasting my time on people who arent as dedicated as I am.

Currently got 48 friends all of whom are top performers.

Yes, its uncompromising but I take this seriously.
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    I completely agree. I deleted my husband after 2 weeks of inactivity!

LOL
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1 and 2 months?! You guys are more generous I am! I delete after a couple weeks of inactivity. I also delete friends who consistently log calories under 1,200 (unless there is a reason) or always write statuses filled with self-hate.

I realize we all have our down moments, but nobody likes a perma-Negative Nancy. Positive attitudes yield positive results! ;)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yep, I give em the boot if they have been inactive for longer than 3 months (unless they have stated a reason they will be away)

however, there are a few peeps from the early MFP days (I am talking very beginning) that I just can't bring myself to delete in the hopes that they come back one day. :sad:
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There is an individual on my list that always posts weight losses every day and in a week span loses 4 pounds and the week before was 5 pounds. Then they list 1500 calorie burns and are allowed 1200 calories for a day and always end up being 800 calories in the hole. Just seems like they are going about it the wrong way. I want to say something but feel kind of out of place since I don't really know them. The whole MYOWLJ (mind your own weight loss journey) thing always pops into my head but I feel like I should try to encourage them to do things a little more healthier.

I guess I don't really want to delete this person, it's just frustrating every time this person posts their diary or weight loss or calorie burns. It's frustrating to see someone going about it like this when when I am trying so hard to be very thoughtful and careful about what I'm eating and how I'm working out. I guess I can't judge people for how they go about things...

I have yet to delete anyone, though.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I only delete if they are inactive for over 3 months or if they freak me out.
  • Callean321
    Callean321 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm really new here BUT have already seen people being gone for a week etc...I just use it as motivation and tell myself..."That could be me" but I AM here and I'm NOT giving up"....it reminds me that if i don't log in THAT is what people will see and then in a few days or weeks I'll have to be crawling back to square one...
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    CLICK!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    CLICK!

CLICK BOOM!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Not if they offer me this.

http://tinyurl.com/cofwc2g
  • CrossFitBeast
    CrossFitBeast Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If I know they're on vacation or going through something I give them as long as they need. Yet if there's no indication I give them 3 days...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I counted...only 8 are in the red, of 206. I pick my friends wisely.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just delete to be deleting people... sometimes I feel ultra b!tchy and then no one is safe really.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I just delete to be deleting people... sometimes I feel ultra b!tchy and then no one is safe really.

:angry:
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Except for people who were my friends from the very beginning (and people I actually know), I delete after around 3 months of activity. Also just posted a note that I'll be whittling down people who don't comment on my posts at least once a month, as I try to comment on EVERYONE at least three times a week. I'm here for support!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    30 day max.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I delete people who have not logged in for a couple of months. Ditto on people who are on, what is in my personal view, a very unhealthy path by choice (severe calorie restriction or pro-ana). Also anyone who is mean, be it to me or other members. I put non-friend members on ignore for this reason too. I'm not interested in personal attacks & insults and dont want them polluting my space. I have also deleted someone who was basically looking for male attention on a sexual level (hey! Enjoy! I just dont want to see it.)
    It all boils down to this being YOUR health, fitness and weight loss journey and its YOUR choice who you share that path with.

JMO:flowerforyou:
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    3 days. then delete. or even if ur active and haven't commented on any activity in days - then delete
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about people who don't log in. They aren't hurting anything on my friend's list. And I know it took me the better part of a year to get serious and now that I have, I need all the support I can get.

But I do delete people who seem to be trolls or *kitten*. This one person wrote to me about how she needed help and support, etc. So I friended her. From her profile, it appeared she had a great deal of weight that she wanted to lose. Then I noticed that she was posting things in her exercise journal like she ran 8 miles or 10 miles. Or did these insanely long workouts that a person of the size she claimed to be probably could not do.

I don't know what this person's game was, but I cut them. I have only a few friends, but they're good, supportive ones that I'm growing to love. I intend to use the site to the fullest and that means utilizing the support I get here to the fullest. And to me, it also means being a good friend in return.

I guess what I'm saying is, get the most out of this experience that you can. And if that means cutting people at times, do what you need to do.