Scared of the Freshman 15...HELP!!!!

Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to leave for college in about three weeks and I'm starting to get nervous for many reasons. My biggest fear is eating out of the dining hall as odd as that sounds. I'm a 5' 2" 18-year-old female and last year, I weighed 142 lbs. After yo-yoing with a trainer for about nine months, I independently got down to 125.5 lbs. I purchased Insanity and completed the 60 Day Challenge about 2 weeks ago, and I got down to 120 lbs (I wish I would've lost a little more, but I'm very happy I lost 5.5 lbs). I started the program over and I'm bringing it with me to school! I don't know how I could survive without Shaun T :) I've been following the same meal plan for weeks and I love it, but I know I won't be able to have it at college. I won't be partying or drinking at school and I don't ever drink sodas or anything like that, but I'm just terrified of the Freshman 15...I don't want all my hard work to go to waste! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! How do I approach Dining Halls, etc.? Work outs besides Insanity??

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Its usually not the dining hall but all the partying and drinking.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Its usually not the dining hall but all the partying and drinking.

for sure ^^

the only problem you'll have with the dining hall is if you don't watch portions and/or eat donuts all day/every day.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Freshmen 15 is a myth.

It is actually 20 pounds that is gained throughout the years at school roughly.

This is caused by a number of factors.

1. Introduction to alcohol
    2. Lack of home cooked foods (Dining halls have high sodium content)
    3. Lack of exercise (Fewer PE type classes now, if any)
    4. Lack of growing (Growth in our teen years requires significant calories and protein to fuel)

Every month, re-calculate your BMR and TDEE and track what you eat. You'll be fine.

Also, if you like, EVERY semester, take a physical fitness class such as weight lifting and such.
  • Dav3455
    Dav3455 Posts: 5
    Yea, I agree that partying and drinking is what you should stay away from, I was also thinking about starting insanity but didnt think I could do it...but I might just have to start it today :)
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Hey, I know how hard it is to eat healthy in college! I DID gain the freshman 15 and now I've lost it all by changing my habits. :) I wrote a series of blog posts on how to survive dorm life that has all of my advice on how to eat well in college including how to survive the cafeteria and what to eat in the dorm, here are the links:

Part 1: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-1-the-cafeteria-333507
    Part 2: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-2-dorm-snacking-338517
    Part 3: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-3-alcohol-eating-out-and-exercise-344686

I hope the tips are helpful for you!!!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Just keep doing what you've been doing and continue to make good food choices and you'll be just fine. Best of luck to you...you've done a wonderful job thus far!!!:smile:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    I'm in the same boat. You can request me if you want :) we can possibly help each other out
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Actually, it can be both the dining hall and the partying.

As much as you can, bring healthy snacks with you that are stable-- LaraBars, nuts, whole wheat crackers, etc. That way you won't be tempted to eat out of the snack machines.
    Eat as much fresh fruit as you can that is offered in your dining hall- bananas, apples, oranges, etc. Breakfast usually has an oatmeal option or an eggs option- top the oatmeal with berries or the eggs with salsa.
    Lunch- salad bar and lean chicken if you can. Try for beans,hard boiled eggs,whole grain cereals etc. Try to eat less of the fried or smothered in cheese stuff. Most dining halls are working towards getting healthier. Drink milk or water with your meals.
    I would say to try to make the best choice that you can for a given meal.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Freshmen 15 is a myth.

It is actually 20 pounds that is gained throughout the years at school roughly.

This is caused by a number of factors.

1. Introduction to alcohol
    2. Lack of home cooked foods (Dining halls have high sodium content)
    3. Lack of exercise (Fewer PE type classes now, if any)
    4. Lack of growing (Growth in our teen years requires significant calories and protein to fuel)

Every month, re-calculate your BMR and TDEE and track what you eat. You'll be fine.

Also, if you like, EVERY semester, take a physical fitness class such as weight lifting and such.
    True story. Mine was closer to a freshmen 25 (I'm a junior this year). If you're going to be eating at the dining hall, try and avoid foods that you can't figure out nutrition info on. These super tiny sandwiches that I loved at my dining hall were almost 700 cals D: Almost died when I found that out.

TAKE USE OF THE GYM! Seriously. You're probably already paying to use it in your tuition, so GO. Mine has a million fitness classes and they are fun. It's a great way to meet people. Also see if your school has IM sports.

And no, I didn't drink or party (microbiology major here). My weight gain was a combo of terrible food choices and not exercising.
  • bwayxlaura
    bwayxlaura Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you SO MUCH everyone for all of your input! It means a ton :)

Dav345--DO IT!! Honestly, Insanity changed my life and I couldn't speak more highly of it! I'm addicted :)

SamanthaAnnM--THANK YOU for sharing your blog!! I will DEFINITELY be reading it!!! :D

I am a little worried about the portions thing...I won't have my food scale with me and I pretty much depend on it at home :(
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Bump!
  • WickedSpinSistr
    WickedSpinSistr Posts: 139 Member
    Where are you going to school?

I went to UMASS Amherst my Freshman year. I had to haulass to get from dorm to class to class because the campus is so huge. I actually lost weight that year.

I think the freshman 15 comes from drinking a lot of beer followed my eating a lot of bagels and pizza at 3am. So don't do those things and you'll be ok. ;)
  • bwayxlaura
    Where are you going to school?

I went to UMASS Amherst my Freshman year. I had to haulass to get from dorm to class to class because the campus is so huge. I actually lost weight that year.

I think the freshman 15 comes from drinking a lot of beer followed my eating a lot of bagels and pizza at 3am. So don't do those things and you'll be ok. ;)

I'm going to University of Delaware! So it's a pretty big school! :) And thanks, I'll definitely avoid that haha! :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Here's what you do:

Start by studying portion sizes. Be very familiar with what a real portion size really is. What is 4 oz of chicken? What is a half cup of rice? Know it and be able to say "that's enough" in the dining hall.

Skip the desserts sugar cereal stands. These were the downfall of so many students when I was in school. Since you're good at skipping sodas, keep it up.

If you have fresh fruit in the dining hall, pack some in your bag and take it with you for later.

Snack smart. Keep smart snacks in your dorm room, not junk. You are going to get hungry between meals. Be ready.

Make sure you have workouts scheduled. With classes being spaced out it's easy to eliminate that and say "oh it doesn't fit in." Don't let that happen. Whether you schedule a formal PE class or not, make sure you spend time exercising. It can be walking, running, at the gym, or pick up ball in the field with your dorm mates. Join an intramural league for fun. Whatever. Just make sure you schedule it. Even find out what your dorm mates like and do things together so you are more encouraged to keep it up.

I will be honest-I did hit the freshmen 15 in college. But for me it was the Freshman minus 15. I lost 15 lbs from playing intramural soccer and eating only three meals a day (different from home). So don't fret too much. Just prepare.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    I lost 20 pounds going away to school, my first semester. I walked everywhere, I took gym classes, I joined rec-leagues, I didn't drink and I was 20 (did 2 years free (scholarship) at our community college). At 30 the metabolism took a nose dive and I gained that and 20 more back. You are young, just keep active and you won't gain the weight.
  • bwayxlaura
    jcpmoore- Thank you SO much for all of your advice! You lost 15 pounds?? That's incredible and definitely really encouraging!

kristen6022--Wow! You lost 20 pounds? That's awesome, too!! Thanks for your encouragment :)