Exercise During Tom (potential TMI)

Options
Ladies, do you still exercise if you are having painful cramps? If so, does it help? I remember the P.E. teacher used to say that it was a myth to not exercise during Tom, but I had my mom get me a note from the doctor. Sometimes I used to stay home from school because it hurt so much.

Since I had two c-sections, I don't have pain quite so much. But today I am hurting, even after taking my Aleve, and I keep thinking about how tonight is a C25K night.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have heard that working out during your period actually makes you feel better. I always try to push myself during that week and I am always happy I did. I would say try it but if it turns out to be too much, go the extra mile next week :)
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise helps relieve my cramps. I also find that, with the exception of when I'm running a fever, if I feel like crud, the best remedy is a good sweat session.
  • tizzie_14
    Options
    Power through it. I've worked out hard with cramps, with a migraine, you name it. You won't be any worse off if you do it. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I believe you when you say it helps. This is my first month of exercising on a regular basis since I was a teenager....

I will just have to readjust my stinkin' thinkin' and power through it. I also think I have some herbal medication at home that will help. :wink:
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I do but I'm on the pill so it's pretty mild. I usually take about one day off during the whole thing and use that as my rest day anyway. I don't know if it really helps with cramps but it seems to make the flow lighter. I say go for it if you can, unless you're very sick to your stomach.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so some months my cramps are terrible! I still workout, and it does help. I find it does take more motivation from me (especially during the first couple of days) just because I am exhausted, but I always feel better afterward.