How do a log a salad that I make myself?

Options
When logging a salad should I log 1 cup of lettuce, x amount of tomato, x amount of carrots, x amount of grilled chicken, and x amount of cheese? Do I select 1 serving for all of these are should I be customizing this differently?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thats how I do it, log everything individually by serving.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That's how I log it. One item at a time.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just log the individual items seperately as you have described.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You can do it that way, or go to Food > Recipes and create a recipe out of those ingredients. That way if you make it again, you don't have to reenter.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Buy a digital food scale and weigh everything in grams. Log everything individually. Best <$20 investment you can make!
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    If you find you use mostly the same ingrediants each time, you could create a "recipe" and then you only have to log "the salad" instead of each ingredient. But if you vary the ingredients a lot each time, it might be better to log each item.
  • panthra
    panthra Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you! I knew you guys would be able to help me with this.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    That is how I log my salad. It keeps track of the following days so when you eat the same foods you can just select it.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    If you find you use mostly the same ingrediants each time, you could create a "recipe" and then you only have to log "the salad" instead of each ingredient. But if you vary the ingredients a lot each time, it might be better to log each item.

What they said. I have one tuna salad I ALWAYS make the same way, but if I'm going rogue on it, I just have to log every last ingredient on there. It's a pain, but at least it's accurate.
  • continentaldivide
    continentaldivide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the generic homemade vegtable salad that is already in the system. I log dressing separately. For basic low cal salads like lettuce, tomato, celery, cucumbers, red pepper, this seems easiest and close enough for me.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Track them all separately, and then if you think you are going to make that same salad again, hit "save meal" and then you can track it again very easily. Or, like someone else said, create a recipe.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you eat that salad fairly often, I would take the time to tally up the cal count of each ingredient, then "Add" it into the database, so you can more quickly input it again later on.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Track them all separately, and then if you think you are going to make that same salad again, hit "save meal" and then you can track it again very easily. Or, like someone else said, create a recipe.

Yes, this ^^^
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Rather than making a recipe, you can enter it in and then select "Remember meal." That's a better option for something like a salad that could have varying ingredients because you can still change each ingredient separately once you add it from "My Meals" to the diary. Recipes are better for something that is made the same each time.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Buy a digital food scale and weigh everything in grams. Log everything individually. Best <$20 investment you can make!

YES!!
  • jj77smith
    jj77smith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it that way, or go to Food > Recipes and create a recipe out of those ingredients. That way if you make it again, you don't have to reenter.

This is what I do too...and if you don't finish the dish you can go back and just change the serving size. It's a very useful tool.
  • PKRiggs
    PKRiggs Posts: 5
    Options
    You can usually find all the ingredients when you select add a food and search your ingredients. It won't take 1/2 , 1/3, etc. For half a cup I put 0.5 on the amount of whatever serving they give. Does this help? Once you enter it you can create a meal out of it and select it later if you make it the same way all the time. I haven't done that yet. Much success on your diet and becoming the person you want to be.