Heart Monitor Exercise Stop???

Options
I bought my wife and myself the Polar FT7. When we exercise together, when do we 'Stop' the HRM event? Let's say we do the Leslie Sansone 2 mile. After we finish, my heart rate wil rerturn to 80's or 70's usually with in a minute or 2. My wife's will stay 100+ somethimes for longer. We both work to achieve target heart rate or as close as possible. For me, I stop the HRM at 80 or less, usually within a minute. Should we stop it when the exercise is over? Or when the heart rate is out of 'Fat Burn', or in my wife's case as much as 4 or 5 minutes later because it stays in the 100's that long? And yes we are overweight and working very hard to get healthy.

Replies

• dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do : I usually check my heart rate before I begin and stop my HRM when it returns to close to that rate. After I link my FT7 to my polarpersonaltrainer, I see how many calories I burn in the fat zone and only eat back that amount. I'm sure most people eat all of the calories back and if that is what works for them, great.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That is what we do. We try to relax and get a good 'rest' rate, at least in the lower 80's. Then stop the hrm when it returns again to the lower 80's or 70's. It makes sense because if you watch the graph, even sitting after excerise, it's still in FATBURN for a while. My concern was for my wife, it can stay up there for awhile. Not so much for me.. I usually am down in a minute or less. BTW: we are both over 60 so I really keep a close watch after her. Just need to know we are counting these exercise calories correctly using the FT7. Our normal sitting, relaxed rate is in the 60's low 70's.