Too much protein?

Options
The last couple of days ive been doing my diary entries for about 4 days worth and i've been doing 107 or so grams of protein, is that to high?

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    "How much protein do we need?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams."

"Is it OK to eat a lot more protein than the minimum recommendations?

This is the crucial question for people on diets that are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis."

From an articles here http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

It's a very interesting article and worth a read.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The scooby calculator(http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) says normal range 0.5 – 1.0 g per pound bodyweight
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    107 is ok, your target is low because you have a low calorie goal. You can tweak the macros to suit the way you eat.
  • sonny368
    sonny368 Posts: 61
    Options
    It depends how's your workout and how long time, if you exercise heavily like cardio and strenght training the same day, so let's say a couple of hours you would need from 0.8 gr per pound to 1.8 gr per pound, depends also from your fitness goal, for example someone who makes Interval Training and Sprints and Cross training I would say 1.8 gr per pound, sure to eat that amount of proteins means also a serious commitment during the training.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, your protein goal is probably SO low because your calorie goals are so low. MFP's protein goals are pretty low to begin with, factor that with the fact you set your calories so low... It will be certainly easy to go over protein. I typically eat around 120 grams a day, but I also have my calorie goal much higher than you. I think you'll be fine. Looking at the last few days, you ate around 60 grams which is not high at all.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "How much protein do we need?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams."

"Is it OK to eat a lot more protein than the minimum recommendations?

This is the crucial question for people on diets that are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis."

From an articles here http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

It's a very interesting article and worth a read.

There's other credible scientific studies to show that higher protein diets may be implicated in higher cancer rates and accelerated aging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729061-alternative-day-diet-and-protein-consumption
  • RandiJP
    RandiJP Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump