Weigh less, sweat more?

Options
So I started the 30-day-shred a couple of days ago. Level 1, just like the first time I tried it. The first time I did it, I weighed 269. Yesterday when I did it, I weighed 222. So I was 47 pounds down.

But what's weird is that I sweated more than I ever have before last night. Even though it was easier, and I was much more fit, I was drenched when it was over. I used to barely break a sweat and worked harder because it was harder to do at such a heavy weight.

Is this normal? The less you weigh, the more you sweat? Am I going to have to start showering directly after exercise (something I've never been too bothered with before)?

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before.

But I did experience the same thing. The reason: I got more fit and was able to work out harder and therefore produced more sweat. I might have done the same workout (I did Zumba) but I did the movements in the correct way and in the right pace.

But sweating is not correlated to weight - at least not that I know of and not in the way you described it.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    I've never heard of this before.

But I did experience the same thing. The reason: I got more fit and was able to work out harder and therefore produced more sweat. I might have done the same workout (I did Zumba) but I did the movements in the correct way and in the right pace.

But sweating is not correlated to weight - at least not that I know of and not in the way you described it.

I could be wrong, but I feel like I'm doing the exercise at the same intensity. It's a very basic DVD, but I still have to stop a couple of times (usually on jumping exercises) just like before.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    if the first time you did it and you weren't drinking your water you were probably doing it dehydrated. they say if you don't sweat while exercising it is a definite sign of dehydration.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You probably just were able to push further and work harder due to being more fit. :) GREAT JOB! .. Happens to me too!:tongue:
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My partner and I were discussing this as well. I'm down 75# and she's down 52#. We've both noticed that the more weight we lose, the sweatier we get! My theory is: Muscle burns fat. Working out builds muscle. The more muscle you have, the more you burn. Burning fat takes heat. Muscles generate heat to burn said fat. Soooo, yeah, the more you lose, the more you sweat. Makes perfect sense to us! (I may be completely wrong, but I like my theory.) LOL
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You feel like you're working the same intensity, but remember to feel like you're working, you have to work harder. I sweat more now than I ever have in my life. If your water intake has increased, I think that plays into it, too.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have read recently about how our bodies adapt to the heat during summer. It is something like this:

As we are exposed to higher and higher temperatures over a long period of time, our bodies react to it by producing more sweat than in colder temperatures, thus having more water evaporating from our skin and cooling us down more. That's why, if you've spent a week or longer in the heat of summer, you won't notice the heat as much by the end of the week than at the beginning of the week.

When we work out, our bodies produce about 30% more heat than when we're at rest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same principles apply. The more we work out, the more we would sweat, because our bodies would have adapted to producing more heat, and will be doing more to aid in keeping itself cooled down.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    My partner and I were discussing this as well. I'm down 75# and she's down 52#. We've both noticed that the more weight we lose, the sweatier we get! My theory is: Muscle burns fat. Working out builds muscle. The more muscle you have, the more you burn. Burning fat takes heat. Muscles generate heat to burn said fat. Soooo, yeah, the more you lose, the more you sweat. Makes perfect sense to us! (I may be completely wrong, but I like my theory.) LOL

I like ya'll theory too :) It makes sense. It just freaked me out. I have a roommate that sweats all the time, just sitting still. I could exercise at my hardest and barely break a sweat. We're both big girls. So I thought that there had to be a correlation between my weight loss and my amount of sweat!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true for everyone, but I've noticed that being in better condition, I am faster to work up a sweat during a cardio workout. I'm hoping it's a sign of good cardiovascular health.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    When we work out, our bodies produce about 30% more heat than when we're at rest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same principles apply. The more we work out, the more we would sweat, because our bodies would have adapted to producing more heat, and will be doing more to aid in keeping itself cooled down.

That's a good theory too. Thanks everyone for your input! :flowerforyou:
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true for everyone, but I've noticed that being in better condition, I am faster to work up a sweat during a cardio workout. I'm hoping it's a sign of good cardiovascular health.

I like this idea, but for whatever reason, I noticed it for the first time last night :huh:
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have read that as you adjust to heat, you sweat more easily and more. It's your body responding to the challenge before it gets as challenging--your body says 'Oh, I get it. Gotta get with it.' Last summer I was running with my son as he was getting ready for Air Force Basic Training. It was, like, hot here in OK. 110 degrees a lot of days; 100 days over 100 degrees. We ran just before dark, but it was still well into the 90's. Never sweated so much in my life. Was out a lot with a sick horse all through July, also. Still sweat at the drop of a hat now. Can work in more heat, too, than I could before--part of it's mental, I'm sure. I'm thinking it could be true for heat you generate just as well. I started lifting weights this summer (indoors!) and, boy, can I sweat when I lift. I think it's the response God designed us to have, but perhaps we weren't active enough to really need to sweat much until we learned better how to work.