No Results = disappointment

Options
I have been at this for at least 3 weeks now, some days have been not so perfect, but I at least have been trying. Eating better/less and started exercising again...and yet, I HAVE GAINED a pound and a half! Not lost ANYthing! And I don't believe the old "oh, it's just muscle" excuse...a pound of anything is still a pound, you'd think if I was burning up fat it would at least balance out...this is disappointing and de-motivating. Of course I am going to keep trying because if I quit, I will just be even fatter and MORE out of shape, but sometimes don't you just want to throw your hands up in the air in disgust like "OH COME ON! What's it gonna take?!" I have lost weight noticeably [slowly/the right way] previously on two occasion, but it always comes slowly back, and the only thing I can think now is: is my body just being really stubborn to lose flab YET again?

any thoughts? I am about to go do my work out, and hope yet again that it has *some* effect...at least I feel good in my mind when I keep trying.

Replies

• frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've experienced those "results" too in the past and am embarrassed to admit that I've allowed them to be my excuse to give up in the past. So this time I made a list of non-scale results to look forward to. Maybe they will help?
    1. Reducing measurements.
    2. Increasing energy level.
    3. Decreasing resting heart rate (this week I checked, and mine has gone down 8 bpm)
    4. Increasing exercise endurance
    5. Shaving time off 5k pace.

Hang in there. Sometimes our bodies just take a while to catch on.
  • Sage4041
    Sage4041 Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't fret! I feel like the captain of the boat you're in some days. I know that the "oh it's just muscle" argument can be frustrating, but it is true. Also keep in mind things like water weight. I noticed a big difference when I started keeping track of my sodium intake everyday.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks guys. I like that list, I usually judge my success by my clothes fitting better, since I haven't really owned a scale in the past [I now do] but my clothes still feel tight/uncomfortable. Well we shall keep trying!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    And I don't believe the old "oh, it's just muscle" excuse...a pound of anything is still a pound

:noway:
  • Sage4041
    Sage4041 Posts: 13
    Options
    And I don't believe the old "oh, it's just muscle" excuse...a pound of anything is still a pound

:noway:

Seconded. There's a reason that BMI is a crock.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Awesomely, after I did my work out dvd I decided to check and I actually lost some so I guess I don't feel too bad anymore :3