How Did You Find This Web Site?

Options
As we are all too aware, sometimes our plans change in a way we were unable to foresee. More personally, I joined a paying web site run by an "exercise guru." Within a very short time, I could see that this site wasn't for me. I wasn't motivated by it, felt the exercises weren't really what I wanted to do, etc. But then something special happened . . . one of the members on that site told me about this one. I liked it here immediately - great members, great ideas and the most user-friendly site imaginable. Last but not least, the food diary was second to none. I am grateful for this site, left the other the day I joined here and never looked back.

What about you? How did you find this site? What makes it special to you? :flowerforyou: :smile:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I found this site by Googling something along the lines of "calories burned sweatin' to the oldies", and found a post that someone had posted on the forum here. There was something simple and just right about this site that I liked immediately. The site is just so clean- no extra crap, just the basics, and just what I need. I ♥ me some MFP!
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I was on a weight-loss community on LiveJournal and someone recommended this site. I loved it and have been using it since :heart:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I lost weight in a university study, and then I was having a hard time keeping it off when I moved to China and didn't have a tracker (before we used PDAs, but the battery kept running low here and it was difficult to charge it because of the voltage difference.)

I googled calorie tracker, and found this site, and shared it with all my friends who are finishing the study so that they can keep the weight off.

I'm five pound up from my goal, the lowest weight I hit while at the study, and I'm not such a Nazi about tracking anymore, but this site makes sure I have no excuse except myself.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    My best friend told me about it last july and I said you know what I am to busy to be doing all that logging and tracking, as of this morning I am at goal weight and have been since July 22nd, started Aug 18, 2008, and as of this morning I weighed in at 8 pounds under goal weight. Yippee, I have a few days a week where I eat what I was for a meal just because I dont want to look sick.

Hope eveyone has a good of journey as I have had, welp off to work!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I googled looking for "how to lose 100 lbs" and this came up. It was the best google I ever did
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I did a google search - "food diary" and came up with a list. I found one site I liked, but it was too complicated, and at that time, I didn't have the motivation I really needed. A month later, I tried this one, and liked it so much better because it was EASIER to use - straight and to the point, and stuck with it, added my gym membership, and voila!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    My best friend told me about it last july and I said you know what I am to busy to be doing all that logging and tracking, as of this morning I am at goal weight and have been since July 22nd, started Aug 18, 2008, and as of this morning I weighed in at 8 pounds under goal weight. Yippee, I have a few days a week where I eat what I was for a meal just because I dont want to look sick.

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on the AWESOME job you've done! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
    Besides being healthy now a days, you must also be so extremely proud of just what you've done, as well as how much better you look and feel! :happy: GREAT JOB! :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    As we are all too aware, sometimes our plans change in a way we were unable to foresee. More personally, I joined a paying web site run by an "exercise guru." Within a very short time, I could see that this site wasn't for me. I wasn't motivated by it, felt the exercises weren't really what I wanted to do, etc. But then something special happened . . . one of the members on that site told me about this one. I liked it here immediately - great members, great ideas and the most user-friendly site imaginable. Last but not least, the food diary was second to none. I am grateful for this site, left the other the day I joined here and never looked back.

What about you? How did you find this site? What makes it special to you? :flowerforyou: :smile:

I work at a school, and the teacher I worked with gave me the site and said it was "something fun". Then she explained what the site was. To tell you the truth, I was pretty hurt that she'd given it to me, and almost threw the addy away. But, luckily, I decided to check it out, and I've been a "loser" ever since! :laugh: :happy: I'd tried a ton of diets over the years, even tried hypnosis, TWICE, but, nothing really worked until I came here to MFP! I can't say enough good about this site, and all it's wonderful members! :love: It REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I was depressed one night after the scale showed I was my heaviest ever. The trainer tip in Biggest Loser said people that keep a food diary loose something like 10 times the weight of people that don't keep a diary. I googled food diary and found MFP. Reading the motivational stories and successes inspired me. I feel addicted to MFP now.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I found MFP, because several other users on another forum site I'm on had weight loss trackers at the bottom of their signatures, so I decided to check it out. I"ve lost around 10 lbs, but I've lost my interest in really losing weight. I just want to be a bit smaller and I don't know how to get that motivation back. I keep reading posts, but it's not helping.

Edit: I just don't feel the need to lose the weight, I'm happy as am. I mean I'm happy with my body, I've been overweight for 2 years since I got pregnant with my daughter, I've kind of accepted and decided to be happy with what I have and just be thankful I'm healthy in other ways. I'm having a tough time getting into my head that I want to be smaller and to be smaller I have to stick with the calories. I've been going over lately.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I found MFP through a psychology class. We were modifying our own behavior and one of my classmates mentioned using the website to track everything. After I graduated I wanted to be able to control some aspect of my life.. so, I logged on in June and have been here ever since! :smile: 14 lbs down too! :drinker:
  • saranmicah09
    Options

My mom and I joined this site cause we were so inspired about hearing about Tamara's success through her mom!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I found the site through an off topic day on one of the horse boards I frequent. I'm not even sure how it came up, I think it was on a running thread someone had posted.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am on a cruise fanatic board and I am part of a topic on losing weight before our next cruise. Someone on the topic talked to us about MFP and here I am!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Google:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I Googled free calorie counters & found this place!
    :flowerforyou:
    I'm so glad I did. I had no clue there were sites like this.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I googled something along the lines of calorie counters or calories counting and found this website. I love it! Thanks Mike! :flowerforyou:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I found it through another site like it called peertrainer. Its a good site too.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I had joined a similar site before this one and ended up getting discouraged. The site had some members that liked to attack each other, and attack random members if they said different from their own view and call each other names. These were grown women mind you. I thought to myself, this is a place where all of us are trying to change for the better and help each other why all the drama. One of the ladies I had gotten to know on that site was also fed up and she told me about this site. I am so glad she let me know about this place. I love it here. It is just what I need when I feel discouraged.