Before Pics - Any advice on the bloated belly?

Options
Hi all - those of you that are on my friends list and have read my posts know that I carry my weight in my belly BIG TIME. So my stats again are that i am 5ft 9, i weigh around 160 an my belly fluctuates between 34-36 my waist is about the same.... I have been trying to lose the weight for the past 5 years and just got back on MFP almost a month ago. I wanted to show some pics that show how my body fluctuates I often look like im pregnant, i have never had children, never been pregnant and this has been happening since my late 20's. I know it wont go completely away until my body fat percentage is low enough. But i swear sometimes it seems like a medical problem but my doctor says no, i have been tested for all kinds of digestive, intestinal issues and nothing. Anyway if anyone has any specific advice i would love to hear it. As you can see the years of working out did yield me a bit of muscle which i am thrilled about but come on....this belly issue is nutty. Not to mention i have been feeling slimmer in my clothes. But looking at these pics it looks like i haven't made any progress.

These were taken about a week apart and this is with me working and and sticking to calorie goals. Sideview.jpgIMG_20120802_151605.jpg

These are the same time period but held in: july2012HeldIn.jpgFrontview.jpg

A little muscle.. the bright side :)Bicep3.jpg

Replies

• CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    High sodium & anything carbonated normally lead to a bloated belly, so if you're consuming anything like that, it'd probably be best to avoid them!
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First bit of advice I'll give you is be patient. Definition first starts to show in areas with lower fat, like the arms and calves. Areas like the belly, especially since you are likely to have visceral fat is the last to go. Depending on the length of your waist too. I started to get a sky high booty and that dancer's cut in my thigh and still had a pudgy belly. Only now is it starting to get firmer.

Here are some tips that helped me.

1. Step up the cardio. Interval training especially with moderate cardio with high intensity bursts helped me get at the stubborn visceral fat.
    2. I do core work every day. It won't show while I still have fat, but I am helping my muscles and posture.
    3. Posture. Man...I slouch. I keep reminding myself to sit up and hold myself in.
    4. High fiber diet with loads of water. I have some yoghurt with active cultures or keffir everyday. It doesn't make me wasp waisted but it helps with bloating.

Keep at it. Your body is showing some incredible progress. Be proud of what you have done, and be assured that with consistent cardio and core work your mid section will improve too. (Since your doctor has ruled out other things)
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    First bit of advice I'll give you is be patient. Definition first starts to show in areas with lower fat, like the arms and calves. Areas like the belly, especially since you are likely to have visceral fat is the last to go. Depending on the length of your waist too. I started to get a sky high booty and that dancer's cut in my thigh and still had a pudgy belly. Only now is it starting to get firmer.

1. Step up the cardio. Interval training especially with moderate cardio with high intensity bursts helped me get at the stubborn visceral fat.
    2. I do core work every day. It won't show while I still have fat, but I am helping my muscles and posture.
    3. Posture. Man...I slouch. I keep reminding myself to sit up and hold myself in.
    4. High fiber diet with loads of water. I have some yoghurt with active cultures or keffir everyday. It doesn't make me wasp waisted but it helps with bloating.

Keep at it. Your body is showing some incredible progress. Be proud of what you have done, and be assured that with consistent cardio and core work your mid section will improve too. (Since your doctor has ruled out other things)

All of this... and in the interim... Spanx. I have spoken. ;)
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Amen.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I have pcos and when my cysts start to play up that's what my stomach does, I gained a 3.4kg (7lb) bloat in a day just recently and looked very pregnant for a day or so... do you get pain as well as the bloating or just bloating? If there's pain as well then you need more tests, if its just bloat then it's very likely something in your diet which is causing it. perhaps there is an intolerance you haven't picked up or your diet is high in sodium?
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    always heard cetain foods can help. eggs, nuts , avacados. I know there is a flat belly diet book. My stepmom has that book, but I have not got a hold of it yet. stress can also keep cortisol levels up.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I have pcos and when my cysts start to play up that's what my stomach does, I gained a 3.4kg (7lb) bloat in a day just recently and looked very pregnant for a day or so... do you get pain as well as the bloating or just bloating? If there's pain as well then you need more tests, if its just bloat then it's very likely something in your diet which is causing it. perhaps there is an intolerance you haven't picked up or your diet is high in sodium?

Funny you mention this. I do have pain and i have cyst. I forgot that it can also cause bloating and that picture where i am the biggest was near the ending of my cycle. I should probably make more note of when it really blows up like that. Thanks!
  • Reneefit135
    Options

LOL - I hear you, i have several Spanx and thank goodness for them!!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Does it bloat more after you eat? Your gut (intestines) may be needing a spring cleaning:wink:
    Most people's do...
    www.drnatura.com has a fiber system that works nicely....
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Amen.

For sure Spanx. Spanx can work wonders:bigsmile:
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with mine too...I keep reminding myself It took this many years to put on, it will take this many years to take off.

Good ideas here will have to try them out.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Does it bloat more after you eat? Your gut (intestines) may be needing a spring cleaning:wink:
    Most people's do...
    www.drnatura.com has a fiber system that works nicely....

Yes it bloats more after i eat. I think i also have some gluten intolerance although i did not test positive for an allergy to gluten. Also i do have cysts and too much sodium. I cleanse regularly but it has been a few months since the last cleanse so its probably about time for that too. Thanks!
  • Gloria_Torres
    Gloria_Torres Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh yea. Don't know if you're big on ketchup. That's a common lead why so many Americans are so bloated. Its loaded with TONS of sugar.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My sister had that problem, bloated and distended tummy, fullness and gas(burping) and a general uncomfortable feeling/pregnant-looking belly. They tested her for Celiac disease and other food allergies, but it turns out that she had gall stones and had to have her gall bladder removed at only 19. Could be something medical. I'd schedule a doctor visit to rule out anything like that.
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Any advice on what to do with a belly that hangs over? I don't know what it's really called, but I've heard several derogatory terms for it. It looks like I wear a hoodie with a puppy in the front pocket. Have I done too much muscle damage to ever dream of having a flat stomach again? Are there any exercises I can do to make it stop flapping over? I don't mind if it is bloated looking for a while, I just don't want it to hang.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Oh yea. Don't know if you're big on ketchup. That's a common lead why so many Americans are so bloated. Its loaded with TONS of sugar.

LoL. That's a new one.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Any advice on what to do with a belly that hangs over? I don't know what it's really called, but I've heard several derogatory terms for it. It looks like I wear a hoodie with a puppy in the front pocket. Have I done too much muscle damage to ever dream of having a flat stomach again? Are there any exercises I can do to make it stop flapping over? I don't mind if it is bloated looking for a while, I just don't want it to hang.

That is called a panniculus, and it is mostly fat. As you lose, it will shrink. Mine has, but since I have 57 more lbs to go, it's not gone yet. I am pleased with what losing 30lbs has done for it so far, though. I recommend sticking to your MFP program, keep up your regular exercise, watch your sodium intake, because bloating makes the tummy look worse, and it will shrink. Give your body a few years once you lose all the unwanted fat, and there are online articles I have read that indicate the tummy can become flat again. It didn't say "smooth" but did say flat. I'm hopeful!! Best of luck!!