Protein for breakfast

Options
tree5981
tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
Hey everyone!

In the morning I typically just eat a breakfast bar of some sort because its quick and easy. However I am usually starving an hour or two later because its basically just sugar in those things anyway. So I was wondering if anyone had any good quick breakfast ideas that are high in protein. I was thinking of just boiling some eggs because they are quick and easy to grab the next day, but I can see that gettting a little boring. Thanks for your input :bigsmile:

Replies

• tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs. I eat them in different ways, hard boiled, scrambled with some tomatoes and ham. I also just got a whey protein powder and did a protein shake today It was really good :)
    I also love sausages. You can make a sandwich with whole grain bread, ham and eggs.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon! If you're pushed for time do a protein shake with a scoop of porridge oats :)
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eggs almost everyday. Today - scrambled with onion and bell pepper. Yum.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I usually eat one or two boiled eggs in the morning and throw almond milk and fruits in a blender to make a smoothie. Keeps me full til lunch.

Oh, if you like boiled eggs make a weeks worth at a time. I boil at least a dozen together because my dogs get one each too.
  • aimee_1410
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes!

Or a smoothie with protein powder
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can make scramble egg muffins. Whisk together eggs/ egg whites some veggies, mushrooms, spinach, onions, peppers, toss in some bacon or turkey bacon chopped. Pour into muffin tin and bake at 350 for 10-15 min I think? Can't remember the time it's been awhile but you can tell by looking when the eggs are cooked. Then store in a ziplock bag and just zap them in the microwave to warm them up. Slap between a sandwich thin or English muffin and your ready to eat on the run!
  • Gloria_Torres
    Gloria_Torres Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs can be yummy. Add a couple of slices of "whole grain" toast (lightly buttered), or with some jam or peanut butter along with a glass of o.j. or with a cup of fruit. Dont forget your coffee! :)
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    You can make scramble egg muffins. Whisk together eggs/ egg whites some veggies, mushrooms, spinach, onions, peppers, toss in some bacon or turkey bacon chopped. Pour into muffin tin and bake at 350 for 10-15 min I think? Can't remember the time it's been awhile but you can tell by looking when the eggs are cooked. Then store in a ziplock bag and just zap them in the microwave to warm them up. Slap between a sandwich thin or English muffin and your ready to eat on the run!

That sounds like a good way to add extra veggies in for the day.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    1c of 1% Cottage Cheese has ~28g of protein and is quick enough to go along with 1c of fresh fruit
  • jonthetrain
    jonthetrain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    5 egg whites, 2 yolks, 1/4 pt milk and half a cup of oats mixed up makes 2 oatmeal pancakes. i like mine with honey.
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i eat alot of eggs but if you're in a hurry and can't make them you could try eating quest protein bars, they are filling and have very little sugar and alot of protein. I would suggest the strawberry cheesecake one for a first try.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg, an apple and a glass of milk...and I'm good to go!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Anything besides eggs or some meat product in the morning for protein? I'm not a vegetarian, but sometimes I get tired of eggs, bacon, sausage and the like. I realize the importance of protein in the morning.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Love the eggs.

But for variety, I also like cottage cheese - piled on top of a good seeded bread, toasted and smeared with marmite.

Or Greek yoghurt - mixed with berries and a tablespoon of flaxseed.

Or a slice of ham and some tomatoes.

Or smoked fish. (Salmon, trout, mackerel. High in good fats)
  • Balsam1951
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast, but my nutritionist said that is a no no. I've got early state diabete's and she told me breakfast is important for balancing my blood sugar. I have a one scoop whey protein in 1% low fat milk first thing after I get up. I have my coffee and I make sure I get 45 grams of carbs. I have found that I am not starving all day like I used to. And I have a 18 gram snack between meals.

I love having scrambled eggs or an egg omlette when I have the ambition to cook something n the morning. For those of you on the run a protein shake in the morning really helps and it smooths out your blood sugar so your not starving.
  • alsmomma
    alsmomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've found the best thing for me is a protein shake made with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (more protein) and 1/2 cup water and some ice. The protein powder alone is 25 grams and I'm full until lunch (I eat at 6:30). For something different this morning I ate a bowl of Raisin Bran with almond milk...I was still hungry so I ate a serving a deli turkey to get my protein in. I want to try the spinach and cottage cheese quiche I've seen on here but so far I haven't had time.
  • tree5981
    tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You all have given me some great ideas thank you! I have boiled eggs today for the rest of the week as some of you have suggested. And now I have some great new ways to eat eggs in the morning so i don't get bored. Thanks again!
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I mix 7 chopped almonds with Yoplait coconut greek yogurt. I was never a fan of yogurt but love this combo. 153 calories and 10 grams protein. Yum!!
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter granola, or toast is a great source of protein.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Low fat, low carb protein shake made with light soya milk, and with it maybe some greek yogurt and fruit with a sprinkling of oatbran, is a quick and easy breakfast that I find filling and quite sustaining - although I'm not a "breakfast person" so tend to eat it later in the morning (10am onwards)